stinging nettles

Status
Not open for further replies.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pueblo West
does anyone feed the stinging nettles I know you can buy the seeds
the stinging nettle I remember growing up in England really hurts when it stings you
is it the same stuff I wonder

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Yes, you can. Have fun harvesting.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
oh I'm not going to grow it I was just wondering, the childhood memories of being stung are enough of a reminder of how it hurt and incentive enough to not grow LOL

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
sueb4653 said:
oh I'm not going to grow it I was just wondering, the childhood memories of being stung are enough of a reminder of how it hurt and incentive enough to not grow LOL

I had my first experience with them over the summer last year. What awful things! I had to scrub down in a riverbed with sand haha. Im seeing more and more people consume them for their health benefits but I dunno that I can get over the trauma of last summer :p

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Some fun about nettles, in the wild, at least on the US west coast, there grows a companion plant that has leaves looking like frogs feet. That's all we've ever called it, “frogs feet". The underside of this leaf has a whitish, silver powder that when rubbed on the affected area helps to neutralize the toxin that produces the sting.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
Cowboy_Ken said:
Some fun about nettles, in the wild, at least on the US west coast, there grows a companion plant that has leaves looking like frogs feet. That's all we've ever called it, “frogs feet". The underside of this leaf has a whitish, silver powder that when rubbed on the affected area helps to neutralize the toxin that produces the sting.
In england there was another plant that we used to rub on the nettle stings to help I have no idea what the real name of the plant was but as kids we called it dog leaves

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
In the Midwest we use jewelweed to rub on stinging nettle. It does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.