Still a work in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I prefer my little guy to be outside but since our weather has been crazy he will be inside for a while. I have been trying to make the enclosure he came with look better but its a struggle. I have changed it around several times and I am still not happy. Here is a couple of pics..

1123111530.jpg

1123111530b.jpg

1123111529.jpg

1123111530a.jpg

1112111428a.jpg

1122111724.jpg

Thanks for looking and any ideas will help. I have a nice place for him once its time to go outside. Just got to keep him happy until then.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have a lot of dirt in there for him to dig in, and I watched him today jump off the top of his hide and face plant when I put his food in there... He is the most aggrasive tortoise I have, he doesnt like anything in his area..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks good. I see the fogger there, and he does not look like he likes his cage mate very much.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
He loves that fogger, its on a timer and every time it goes off he runs and sits under it. I have had to reattach the head on that thing all the time because he knows it off.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Is it out of character for him to be so aggressive? is he perhaps part russian?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
dmmj said:

I have not had him long, got him at the beggining of this month but since I've have had him he has been like that. Even if you just walk close to his enclosure he come charging at you. It doesn't bother me but it's strange that he does that.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
On nicer days (70+F), take him outside whenever possible...my four go out on my tortoise-proofed porch and wander around a bit, catching Vitamin D rays while they're at it. Got two hours today. :cool:

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Terry Allan Hall said:
On nicer days (70+F), take him outside whenever possible...my four go out on my tortoise-proofed porch and wander around a bit, catching Vitamin D rays while they're at it. Got two hours today. :cool:

When my work schedule allows it thats what I have been doing..

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
dalano73 said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

When my work schedule allows it thats what I have been doing..

Excellent! A few hours a week, on average, goes a long way. :cool:

redann

5 Year Member
Minneapolis, MN
Hey, sorry for being a bit belated - I like the enclosure but have a question: should hermann's in general have a fogger or some means to regularly add moisture when indoors? Being a newbie in more ways than just on this forum, I don't have anything like that - but will get one if it helps keep the little guy healthy and happy.

Thanks! Unsure if this needed a new thread, but seeing the fogger and the note that he likes it so much made me have to ask!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He looks good. Enclosure looks fine.

I've seen tortoises behave that way before. Several adult male CDTs, several male russians, and Cory has one like that. I think its a marginated. I think its kind of neat too.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
dalano73 said:
dmmj said:

I have not had him long, got him at the beggining of this month but since I've have had him he has been like that. Even if you just walk close to his enclosure he come charging at you. It doesn't bother me but it's strange that he does that.
Male Hermann's can often be as aggressive as male Russians. It's normal behavior. If he is becoming agitated by the fake tortoise in his enclosure I think I'd remove it. If he is rushing to the fogger when it goes on it could be a sign of his environment being too dry and him needing additional hydration.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Looking good D' man...
Maybe try adding some green moss or alike substance , seems all torts like to hide,and make a bedding of some sort. Timothy hay works well too~

JD~:)

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, i like what you did. wow, i think snip would have flipped over the fake tort. fogger is cool. i have to use a spray bottle ,thats when snip the cake comes a running.i think the hissing noise of the bottle makes him mad!i couldnt keep the fake one in tank, he(snip) would wear himself out! 'lol'

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
GBtortoises said:
dalano73 said:
dmmj said:

Male Hermann's can often be as aggressive as male Russians. It's normal behavior. If he is becoming agitated by the fake tortoise in his enclosure I think I'd remove it. If he is rushing to the fogger when it goes on it could be a sign of his environment being too dry and him needing additional hydration.

He was doing that before I put the fake tortoise in there I was hoping that it would give him something to do, He doesn't pay attention to it anymore. He does not do that when he outside, but the weather does not allow him to stay out very long.

I spray he substrate down but he still goes and sits under the fogger when it comes on..

N2TORTS said:
Looking good D' man...
Maybe try adding some green moss or alike substance , seems all torts like to hide,and make a bedding of some sort. Timothy hay works well too~

JD~:)

I have some moss, I will add that in there and see how he likes it..

momo said:
hi, i like what you did. wow, i think snip would have flipped over the fake tort. fogger is cool. i have to use a spray bottle ,thats when snip the cake comes a running.i think the hissing noise of the bottle makes him mad!i couldnt keep the fake one in tank, he(snip) would wear himself out! 'lol'

Thats funny about Snip... I am going to remove the fake tort, it didn't do what I looking for..

redann said:
Hey, sorry for being a bit belated - I like the enclosure but have a question: should hermann's in general have a fogger or some means to regularly add moisture when indoors? Being a newbie in more ways than just on this forum, I don't have anything like that - but will get one if it helps keep the little guy healthy and happy.

Thanks! Unsure if this needed a new thread, but seeing the fogger and the note that he likes it so much made me have to ask!

The fogger helps give a little humidity, its only on for a few minutes several times a day. I am still learning about Hermanns and I sure those few minutes a day will not affect his health. I am planning on covering some of the enclosure to hold in humidity and when I do that, I will stop using the fogger..

Tom said:
He looks good. Enclosure looks fine.

I've seen tortoises behave that way before. Several adult male CDTs, several male russians, and Cory has one like that. I think its a marginated. I think its kind of neat too.

Thanks Tom.. I do think he will be so much happier having a bigger outside enclosure...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
dalano73 said:

L:DL...when Ptolemy was seperated from his harem, for the winter, he was acting pretty "bad-*ss" to everything/one that was in his line of sight, too...calmed right down when I put him back in with them.

My wife speculats that he doesn't trust them out of his sight! :p

Do you know if he was previously kept w/ one or more females? Are any of your other tortoises confirmed female?

Status
Not open for further replies.