Stella is acting aggressive to new sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Stella is 7 months and today i broke down and went and rescued a 2 month old leopard who was in a very small pet store, all alone with no heat lamp and just sub standars conditions. We have plenty of room in our 3 foot by 2 foot box for both at this size. But Stella was aggressively biting the new torts (Ruby's) shell. We are worried to leave them alone and have them separated. Any thoughts???

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, keep them apart and build another full set up. You may not know their sex for sure...but you can bet they do.....tortoise do not "normally" live together in harmony...and pairs are especially difficult to achieve. The bigger/older one can certainly do harm physically but mentally is equally as bad. I do not feel it necessary to house multiple tortoise in one enclosure ....in my personal experience pairs are not easy nor safe for the two involved....now do not get me wrong, it can be forced that they share the same enclosure but one of them will always be a little short on the equality platform.....IMHO as usual.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
ascott said:
Yes, keep them apart and build another full set up. You may not know their sex for sure...but you can bet they do.....tortoise do not "normally" live together in harmony...and pairs are especially difficult to achieve. The bigger/older one can certainly do harm physically but mentally is equally as bad. I do not feel it necessary to house multiple tortoise in one enclosure ....in my personal experience pairs are not easy nor safe for the two involved....now do not get me wrong, it can be forced that they share the same enclosure but one of them will always be a little short on the equality platform.....IMHO as usual.
Good advice!

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Southern California
ascott said:

Copy thank you

Hallbomber said:
Copy thank you

That sucks considering through research I thought they were non territorial and could live together in harmony.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
In theory they are less aggressive than oh let's say a couple of male CDTs :D ....however they are still tortoise..also, there is no reliable way at their young age to determine whether you have a pair or if indeed you have two of the same sex tortoise? You know? Anytime you take on more than one tortoise or turtle you want to make sure you are prepared to provide an enclosure for each...in the event they can not safely and fairly reside together in the same space... well you now have two lovely tortoise...that can bring you a lifetime of good times....:D and I forgot to say in my prior post....it was lovely of you to help the little one out by removing from the bad situation into what can be a wonderful arrangement for you both :D

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Southern California
ascott said:
In theory they are less aggressive than oh let's say a couple of male CDTs :D ....however they are still tortoise..also, there is no reliable way at their young age to determine whether you have a pair or if indeed you have two of the same sex tortoise? You know? Anytime you take on more than one tortoise or turtle you want to make sure you are prepared to provide an enclosure for each...in the event they can not safely and fairly reside together in the same space... well you now have two lovely tortoise...that can bring you a lifetime of good times....:D and I forgot to say in my prior post....it was lovely of you to help the little one out by removing from the bad situation into what can be a wonderful arrangement for you both :D

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your input!!

Status
Not open for further replies.