Stealth Ninja or Superpower? Your thoughts???

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Now that all is well after all, my heart rate is settled down.

This morning I went out to see Elsa, my Hermann's tortoise, to say good morning before bringing out her breakfast. I didn't see her initially, which isn't unusual: her enclosure has lots of deep weeds and grasses and she's VERY good at camouflaging herself. She's a good size for a Hermann's: 7 inches long and 6 inches wide, and I always find her sooner or later- "Spot the Tortoise Butt" is one of our family's favorite games. But today was different. She wasn't in the "alley" behind her safe house, she wasn't under any of her ferns or hostas or the low-growing rose. I know all her main hiding places and she was no where to be found. I got down on my hands and knees and pulled aside the tall Purple Fountain Grasses, and peeked in the cave she has dug under one of them- no Elsa. I committed the Great Offense of picking up her favorite palm-bark hide, to see back inside it (risking the "stink-eye" from a sleepy tortoise) but no Elsa. AGAIN I went all over her grassy yard on hands and knees, but no Elsa.

The walls of her enclosure are cinderblock, and are 2 blocks high- all was intact and undisturbed.

There was only 1 conclusion: those new yard guys must have come back during the night and taken her. Their boss had a friend who has a sulcata, and he thinks Elsa is really cool looking. One of the guys always pauses and looks at her in her enclosed "yard" as he's weed-eating. I was working out my plan: I can't PROVE anything but I can tell the yard guys to NOT mow in the back... put up posters... how big a reward should I offer...

I work out of town all week, so tortoise care falls to my husband during that time, and he's probably more familiar with her patterns than I am. I dashed in and told him Elsa is gone- I think she's been stolen! and in his typical fashion he declined to join my panic. He came right out to see, bringing his coffee cup with him (HOW can you think about coffee at a time like this????) He remarked that just the other day he had walked right past her. And today, as soon as he stepped in the enclosure THERE SHE WAS. Crisis averted.

But I SWEAR on ANYTHING you care to offer, that she had been NOWHERE TO BE FOUND until she was good and ready!!!!

So my question stands: Do you think tortoises have Invisibility Superpowers or is it Stealth Ninja Skills?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I think perhaps a trick on our eyes and mind. Once you go through the first few initial spots where a tortoise is always found, and fail to do so. The adrenaline and psychi start elevating with panic. So each spot searched afte that can be easily over looked. It's always nice I know they can be such surviving animals that can camouflage themselves not to be found. So I'll go with stealth ninja. Ha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pshhh... Invisibility... That's preposterous. No tortoise species has evolved superpowers as of yet. (Except I'm still not convinced that some russians can't levitate when humans aren't looking...)

So Elsa clearly has the commonly held Tortoise Stealth Ninja Skills. Sheesh. Did you even need to ask?

:p

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Pshhh... Invisibility... That's preposterous. No tortoise species has evolved superpowers as of yet. (Except I'm still not convinced that some russians can't levitate when humans aren't looking...)

So Elsa clearly has the commonly held Tortoise Stealth Ninja Skills. Sheesh. Did you even need to ask?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
:D
...which is PRECISELY why I did NOT get a Russian!!!!!

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ

That you know of... If they're invisible you wouldn't know they were invisible. Duh.:p

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Now that all is well after all, my heart rate is settled down.
But I SWEAR on ANYTHING you care to offer, that she had been NOWHERE TO BE FOUND until she was good and ready!!!!

So my question stands: Do you think tortoises have Invisibility Superpowers or is it Stealth Ninja Skills?
Hmmmm...that's a good question. I'm glad she revealed herself, finally. Cheeky girl!

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So glad your heart held up and your breathing didn't stop:D My Russian will hide where ever I didn't find him the day before. I'd like too know if they sit there in their hiding spots laughing their arses off at us as we panic to find them.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
:D
Hey! :D Not funny, I swear mine can sometimes too! I have two high cinder blocks for him, and one time I looked everywhere for the guy (must have one of the first days he went out by himself) even stuck my hand down in the burrow I dug him, and HE WASN'T IN THERE. There was no possible way I could have missed the guy. And just as I returned from my quick search around in the surrounding few feet of yard, there he was, sitting on his rock area, and he was SMILING. :mad:
I have to vote stealth, though!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
(Except I'm still not convinced that some russians can't levitate when humans aren't looking...)
hahahaha why didn't I think of this! I believe it, sometimes when i'm watching 'Nank even makes sure to convince me by jumping off his log and face-planting... multiple times! can't fool me dude I know now you can float!

awww but why not!? It makes life interesting!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey! :D Not funny, I swear mine can sometimes too! I have two high cinder blocks for him, and one time I looked everywhere for the guy (must have one of the first days he went out by himself) even stuck my hand down in the burrow I dug him, and HE WASN'T IN THERE. There was no possible way I could have missed the guy. And just as I returned from my quick search around in the surrounding few feet of yard, there he was, sitting on his rock area, and he was SMILING. :mad:
I have to vote stealth, though!

While I'm still not sure about the levitation thing, I at one time thought they could turn invisible or teleport at will. But no, its just their superior stealth ninja skills that make it seem like they can...

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
It was very simple... Your tortoise did a Jedi mind trick.

" these are not the tortoises your looking for....move along...".....

XD
Joey
Hahahaha! Good one, Joey!

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Flipper

MO, USA
:rofl funny thread!

I totally agree with all of you! I've had my share of palpitations in the short time I've had Tallula :eek:

She's definitely a ninja :tort:

Alaskamike

South Florida
This happened with one of my 7 mo old Leopards. They have a 10'x10' outside area, lots of interest and fully planted. I looked for him for a half hour. There was a small gap under one of the walls ( I've fixed this) And I was convinced he escaped. Had a friend go through the enclosure too -no luck.
Went in. Had coffee. Decided we should go through the yard one area at a time. It was going to be an all day project.
We got our grungy crawling on hands and knees in the yard clothes on and went out to get started. And as I walked past the surround - There he was on the basking rock. I swear he was smiling.
Renamed him Hyde.

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
New money making idea, tortoise finding beepers. You attach the device to the shell, when they come up missing, push a button and an alarm will go off or how about fireworks? Fireworks would be cool.....just hope they are not in their hide when setting those off and the tortoise would be all ready to celebrate the fourth of july.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
New money making idea, tortoise finding beepers. You attach the device to the shell, when they come up missing, push a button and an alarm will go off or how about fireworks? Fireworks would be cool.....just hope they are not in their hide when setting those off and the tortoise would be all ready to celebrate the fourth of july.
Dangerous, but bonus points for pizazz!