StarWars: The Force Awakens

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
I'm genuinely concerned we're already ruining it for you. I went into the movie completely ignorant and had no idea what people thought of it. I ignored every single review, stopped watching trailers for an entire year, stopped watching this thread once it was released, and went into the movie not knowing at all what to expect. I think walking into the theater completely naively was the way to go and I would suggest it to anyone else. I'm eager for you to see it too. I'd love to hear your perspective and any small things I may have missed. I've only seen it once and people that have seen it more than I have picked up on one or two fan moments I missed.
---
I'll post a big "Spoiler alert" warning whenever I talk about it from here on out. BUT- I will tell you that the scene where Chewie eats the big blue humanoid baby was really disturbing to me. I'm really surprised it didn't get a more adult rating for that scene alone.
Wait a minute!!!!!
That last scene was pinched from Doctor Who!!!

Prairie Mom

i watched i wont spoil it but is amazing i dont wanna say this but i creid alot even on the funny parts ive never seen any of the movies in theaters revenge of the sith only came out when i was about 7 months old my only problem is that some of the jokes were put in dramtic moments and was i guess you could say disneyd up but kylo ren is awesome
I had skipped even your little post previously, because I didn't want to even hear what people thought of it until I got to see it. I loved it too. I also thought that Kylo Ren and others on the Dark side were pretty great. I've already joked about how much I like Kylo Ren's voice when he's behind the mask. Having jokes in the tense parts is classic Star Wars to me. I don't think it was Disney'd up. I love hearing that you were so excited to see it that you were downright emotional. I was too young or not born yet when they were originally released in theaters, but I got to see Empire Strikes back when it was digitally remastered and released in select theaters. I was evil and allowed to sneak in front of campers because a long time friend's sister was managing a theater in LA. Yup! I enjoyed being with "the man." :D I got just as excited and loved seeing it in the theater. When Yoda gave one of his classic speeches an audience member shouted "WORD" and the whole theater died laughing. It was great. I did camp out for Episode one:D No connections there! That was one of the funnest nights of my life. The other campers were such fun people. It was one huge party full of beloved nerds---doesn't get any better than that! Everyone was so nice to each other. Some campers even set up projectors and showed classic movies on the wall of the movie theater. When you're a Dad, you'll be able to tell YOUR kids about seeing this movie in the theater. So cool!

Prairie Mom

Saw the original film in 1977 aged 11.
Went to the cinema and saw it about 8 times, the only time i've multiple watched a film at the cinema.
Loved it (obviously) .
Wasn't so keen on the second one thought the third one was pretty good.
watching them again before the launch of the Episode One thing , i saw that they weren't actually very good after all so never went to see Jar Jar Binks and co.
Bearing in mind I dislike Star Trek, but adore Doctor Who, don't like most superhero movies except The Watchmen and a couple of recent Batmans and like good acting and plotting, should I bother with this new one ?
I loved it, but I would probably tell you "no, don't bother." If you're not really into the originals, this new one works very hard to be similar in style to the originals. Maybe save it for a cheap movie rental and don't expect it to change your opinion.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I loved it, but I would probably tell you "no, don't bother." If you're not really into the originals, this new one works very hard to be similar in style to the originals. Maybe save it for a cheap movie rental and don't expect it to change your opinion.
Blasphemer!!!!

Prairie Mom

POST CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!

Yes @Tidgy's Dad . You absolutely should.

I saw it on Sunday!!!!!!!
My range of emotions throughout the movie- :D:):D:confused::eek::(:D:p:D:rolleyes::Do_O:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::(:oops::):Dando_O
Because Luke needed to start dancing or something. That got awkward.
OH MY GOSH! Of course there are some problems with it, but there are problems with every movie! Who saw that death coming? BECAUSE I DIDN'T SEE IT COMING. I honestly thought Kylo was going to ask Han to kill him, but whatever.
Who thinks Kylo looks like Snape? I wish he has left his helmet on until Rey asked him to take it off.
Whoa, stormtroopers have really good aim in this one! Finn is great, but I need to know how he survived that, since wasn't that his spine?? BB-8 is adorable, and I must figure out immediately how he rolls. Rey os great. Who thinks she's somehow a Skywalker, in a strange, contrived way?
Snoke is odd. Hux was great but I wished we saw more Phasma. I liked how Kylo slowly became less of a menacing presence and more of an angry teenager.
Can we talk about the fighting style? It's a lot more aggressive, but it really works. And everyone laughed at Kylo's hilt-sabers. Haha.
I walked out of the theater laughing, though, because of that scene. Why?! Luke's just out on planet Ireland and take freaking lightsaber GOSH.
It was great :D
Alright, Delaney...I've been looking forward to a few minutes to pick apart your post and dish Star Wars with you (and anyone else is welcome!) :D Awww yeah...Two ladies and their droids:D
<<<<<AGAIN, I'M POSTING MAJOR SPOILERS!!! DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE!!!>>>>
Your jokes about Luke needing to just take the freaking light-saber made me giggle way too much!:D Your right, they held that scene waaaaaayyy to long for effect.

The Death:
I DID see the death coming. I honestly saw it coming from a mile away. As soon as I knew who Kylo Ren's father was, I knew they wouldn't let us have that much Han without any consequences. I was shocked how much the movie was about Han Solo and Chewie. -I expected them to be cameos and not main characters! -What fun! Back to the death...I was practically yelling at Han Solo on the screen not to go to the elevated walkway. We all know what Pedestrian Bridges mean in Star Wars. Walkways are in Star Wars what RED SHIRTS ARE IN STAR TREK!!! DON'T GO THERE HAN!!!! DON'T GO!!!! Moments that I loved in the death scene: I loved when Han Solo held Kylo's cheek and still looked at him sad and loving -maybe even forgiving- as he died. I also love that Chewbacca was the first to start firing shots at Kylo Ren and that he was aiming to kill. Too bad, he shot like a Storm Trooper though.

Now about Chewbacca...I mentioned what I appreciated about the death scene. Loved the moment where the nurse is bandaging him up and admiring his bravery. At the end of the movie, I would have liked MORE from Chewie. I would have liked to have seen big furry arms wrap around Leia and Rey. He knew Han better than anyone and would have had the stronger attachment in that moment. I was disappointed to see him walk into the big victory crowd not even noticing them.

I think Kylo Ren looks a bit like Snape. Snape's way sexier though.---wooops! Did I type and post that!?! I LOVE Kylo's voice behind the mask though. Even my husband jokes that he'd join the Dark side too:D

Absolutely LOVED FINN! He is a fantastic addition to the Star Wars cast. He is so well cast and for being such a big storm trooper dude, I love how he can play his role rather "softly" --do you know what I'm trying to say there?

I loved BB8 too! He wasn't annoying at all. I worried he could be. He was wonderful! He has such great character. Loved seeing him roll down the stairs. We have a toy remote robot of BB8. He rolls pretty good, but his head often falls off:D

Hated Snoke/Supreme Leader guy! It looked way to cheesey for me. That was my only/main complaint about the movie. I am desperately hoping he is way less cartoony when we finally see him in person and that this is some kind of Wizard of Oz behind the curtain deal. He looks way too cheesey...like an odd cartoony mix of Voldemort and Gollum, which since he is played by Andy Sirkis---has me doubly concerned.

Loved Hux. That guys is amazing! I was happy with the amount of Phasma.

I didn't mind the hilt lightsabers. I really didn't.

Next post....
Rey/Skywalker conspiracy theories and nods to the original movies:D

Prairie Mom

CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!

I have seen it twice now. It is a pretty satisfying movie. I like the casting and in particular like Rey. I also like that the main thrust of the movie isn't all computer generated images. They have left themselves a ton of directions to take the franchise in.
Rey was really good. I may have liked Finn even more. I was also soooo grateful that it wasn't clean cartoons and more the style of the original movies. I desperately want to see it again. There were a few fan moments that I missed...When Rey has her crazy "force flashback/vision thingy" apparently you hear a mix of old and young Obi Wan speaking to Rey about how this is just the beginning. -I completely missed the voice! I also apparently missed a part where Rey is throwing around parts in the Millennium Falcon and supposedly she tosses the orb Luke and Obi Wan used in his lightsaber training. Dang it! I'll be looking for those next time! :D

I also agree that they have created some really fun directions that they can take the next movies to. I'm already looking forward to the sequels.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
All I wanna know is does porkins die again? like the eternal loser he is.