Starting to worry!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
I'm really starting to worry now. My russian tortoise hasn't eaten anything in 4 days!
But let me explain- he is completely healthy! I built him an outdoor space this summer, and he has been residing there all day when the weather is warm and sunny (so quite often now in August) and he comes in at night. When I first started to let him out in his new yard to roam, I decided to take him to the vet for a checkup, because I know he can catch something outside (and because it had been a little over a year) and he got TOTALLY CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH. No parasites, so sickness! That was 2 months ago now. He's been really enjoying his time outside, but he doesn't like to eat out there! Now, inside, he doesn't eat either! He just sits there, waiting for food to fall out of the sky or something! He has a great diet, weeds like plantain and clover and dandelion and moneywart and flowers and sometimes carrots and lettuce (there is a lot more!)
I'm ruling out the common causes of no appetite, such as a bad diet, a coil bulb, too small of a space, or an unhealthy tort. He is still active, friendly, alert, with clear eyes, no wheezing, no nose discharge! Usually he eats like a champion, and I don't know why he suddenly stopped!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you sure he isn't grazing when he is outside? Is he able to bask under the sun or a light to get his temps up over 85. They can't digest their food otherwise. Could his temps be too hot?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Are you sure he isn't grazing when he is outside? Is he able to bask under the sun or a light to get his temps up over 85. They can't digest their food otherwise. Could his temps be too hot?
I have closely inspected all his plants for nibbles. Kind of obsessive, but every plant is completely intact!
His basking spot is high 80s into the 90s. His hot side is 80s. His cool side is 70s. His yard is a very sunny spot that gets sun from the morning time to afternoon.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Or too cold because the jet has dropped down and Mi and Oh have been alittle cooler then normal years

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think four days is too long, they can go longer. He's well hydrated, correct? I wouldn't worry too much yet. Just keep a close eye on him. Sounds like everything is good except for not eating. Maybe try a different food item. Does he have a favo treat? If he eats that, then squeeze some of the juice if there is any or dice it up fine and mix with some of the everyday foods. I bet though he starts eating again soon. Every time my leopard doesn't eat for a couple days I worry too, but it's always for nothing.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I don't think four days is too long, they can go longer. He's well hydrated, correct? I wouldn't worry too much yet. Just keep a close eye on him. Sounds like everything is good except for not eating. Maybe try a different food item. Does he have a favo treat? If he eats that, then squeeze some of the juice if there is any or dice it up fine and mix with some of the everyday foods. I bet though he starts eating again soon. Every time my leopard doesn't eat for a couple days I worry too, but it's always for nothing.
He gets soaked every other day, because he hates doing it on his own :( I mist everyday.
He really likes tomatoes. I hope it's nothing! I will try juicing some tomatoes over his food.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Or too cold because the jet has dropped down and Mi and Oh have been alittle cooler then normal years

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum
It has been colder, but I don't put him out until 10-11 when the temps have gone up a bit into the 70s, and then recently in the day here it's been high 70s low 80s.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Does he have a rock that's out in the sun? Do you have a temp gun? If not, I would get one. They aren't that expensive and places like Home Depot or a hardware store will have them. Then shoot the ground several times a day in the sun. Mid to low 80's is not letting him warm up enough to properly digest his food. If the ground temp is not getting over mid to low 80's put a flat rock in the enclosure in the sun and shoot the temp of that after it's been there a little while. Hopefully it will be warmer then 85, like 90+, then I would place him on it, so he gets it's the hot spot. Otherwise, if the temps are not getting warmer then mid to low 80's you may need to either put a basking light out there or bring him in sooner to bask under the inside light.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Does he have a rock that's out in the sun? Do you have a temp gun? If not, I would get one. They aren't that expensive and places like Home Depot or a hardware store will have them. Then shoot the ground several times a day in the sun. Mid to low 80's is not letting him warm up enough to properly digest his food. If the ground temp is not getting over mid to low 80's put a flat rock in the enclosure in the sun and shoot the temp of that after it's been there a little while. Hopefully it will be warmer then 85, like 90+, then I would place him on it, so he gets it's the hot spot. Otherwise, if the temps are not getting warmer then mid to low 80's you may need to either put a basking light out there or bring him in sooner to bask under the inside light.
Okay, I have to work tomorrow so I'll stop by and get one.
He does have large rock mound for his nails, but I didn't think about it getting hotter. If it is still too cold, should he just stay in? I;m not sure about the basking bulb because I put his yard in the middle of nowhere ( :D way far out in the yard where there are no trees) and I can't plug one in.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't leave him in. Those temps are still good for going out, you may just need to cut it shorter, so he can bask before lights out or take him in and out a couple times during the day, or add something that he can bask on that will get warmer then the mid to low 80's, like something black which will attract heat, black dirt, black painted rock? Etc.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I wouldn't leave him in. Those temps are still good for going out, you may just need to cut it shorter, so he can bask before lights out or take him in and out a couple times during the day, or add something that he can bask on that will get warmer then the mid to low 80's, like something black which will attract heat, black dirt, black painted rock? Etc.
I live next to rocky river (very original) and for some season there is a lot of obsidian like looking dark rocks in this part, so that could probably work out. I just brought him from today about an hour ago, because it's beginning to get cooler.
I'll see if he gets hungrier tomorrow when he smells tomato all over his food :D