Starting a small Betta set up

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
So my wife and I are starting a small Betta set up for my daughter (for her viewing pleasure) but obviously I’ll be taking care of it. Is anyone familiar with the initial cycle of a tank, I wanted to run my set up by y’all and see what y’all thought?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
So my wife and I are starting a small Betta set up for my daughter (for her viewing pleasure) but obviously I’ll be taking care of it. Is anyone familiar with the initial cycle of a tank, I wanted to run my set up by y’all and see what y’all thought?
Your betta needs at least a 5.5 gal tank, and 10 is even better.
If you have never had an aquarium, there is a lot to learn about the nitrogen cycle, which can take several weeks.
Don't buy your fish until the cycle is done...trying to cycle with a betta in the tank is very hard on him, and can kill him.
I'm short on time right now, but I would suggest you join Fishlore, an online forum like this one. Members there will help you through the entire process, tell you what you need, and assist with problems.
But first off, don't believe anything a pet store tells you. They will say you only need a 0.5 gal bowl...don't fall for it. I know you want your betta to thrive, not just survive!

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
If you have never had an aquarium, there is a lot to learn about the nitrogen cycle, which can take several weeks.
Don't buy your fish until the cycle is done...trying to cycle with a betta in the tank is very hard on him, and can kill him.
I'm short on time right now, but I would suggest you join Fishlore, an online forum like this one. Members there will help you through the entire process, tell you what you need, and assist with problems.
But first off, don't believe anything a pet store tells you. They will say you only need a 0.5 gal bowl...don't fall for it. I know you want your betta to thrive, not just survive!

Yes absolutely! Thank you! In short, I have the tank cycling now and just signed up for it! Thank you so much!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Here's my Tucker...20170128_172116.jpg