Starters for a Russian Tortoise?

tedthetortoise2

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hey guys,

My name is Teddy. I had a Russian when I was younger but it sadly passed away around a year after I had it due to an illness. I'm thinking about getting a new one and have done a ton of research. I'm planning on getting a 40-gallon tank to start as it is the biggest reasonably priced tank (Do you think that's okay?). My questions are:

-What should I supply for accessories in his tank?
-What should his diet mainly consist of?

and the thing I most need to be answered is:

-I understand I need a UVB light, but for basking and getting heat to the hotter side of the enclosure, should I get a heating pad, heated rock, or heating lamp?

Thanks, can't wait to be an active member of this community!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
REPRINTED WITH PERMISSION FROM "EVERYTHING-TURTLES.COM" ON fb
russian-hermann-reference-guide-png.263957

For a starter tank I would do the christmas tote. Bigger and chaeper than an aquarium. For breeders I suggest @Carol S . My Russian is a healthy beast that is over a year old now! I love the coco coir with fir bark on top for holding moisture but not being wet or messy. if you can find fir bark in the bulk from a local garden center then you could just use that. After a year you can go to cypress mulch. I use a CHE for overall temp maintaince on an electronic thermometer so as to not over heat. UVB is a T5 that I use a simple fixtur for not the Repti one due to cost. I also had a full spectrum-white light plant bulb to encourage plants. Spider plants grow like made and are great for cover.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys,

My name is Teddy. I had a Russian when I was younger but it sadly passed away around a year after I had it due to an illness. I'm thinking about getting a new one and have done a ton of research. I'm planning on getting a 40-gallon tank to start as it is the biggest reasonably priced tank (Do you think that's okay?). My questions are:

-What should I supply for accessories in his tank?
-What should his diet mainly consist of?

and the thing I most need to be answered is:

-I understand I need a UVB light, but for basking and getting heat to the hotter side of the enclosure, should I get a heating pad, heated rock, or heating lamp?

Thanks, can't wait to be an active member of this community!
A 40 gallon tank would be a minimum for a baby. An adult would need a much larger area than that. Read these:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/