start to my outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
here is the start of my enclosure for my sulcata enclosure i have. its about 12'X7'. im going to buy dirt and manure and put grass and weed seed for them down. i also plan on putting hostas in there. what does everyone else use for plants for there sulcatas? id like to put probably some native grasses down for them to graze on. let me know what everyone thinks! -joby

enclosure2.jpg

enclosure1.jpg

enclosure-1.jpg

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What fun it is to start with a clean canvas and go to work producing a worthy design!

Good luck--a good start would be to put your Sulcata down in the middle of the space and post that so everyone can see the "scale" you're working with. :D

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
This is going to be gorgeous...but I'd be a little concerned about the river rock inside the pen...too easy to climb out. As grass goes, if you can grow bermuda in your area that would be great...it's real stealthy once it gets started...you need about a week of consecutive 85 degree days for the seeds to germinate. Other than that, a good fescue mix (Scott's makes one) would do...plants should be grown outside the enclosure or one day you'll come out and they'll be gone...down the hatch!

And don't forget to top those corners.:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can spend as much time as you like, but even a little bitty sulcata will have a pen that size down to bare dirt in no time, if you are leaving him out there much. If you limit his outside time and feed him up real good before you put him out there, it might last a while. I soak mine for 20 minutes or so, then feed her as much as she'll eat, then put her outside in front of another plate of food. She usually bypasses the food and starts munching on everything else in there. If I were you, I'd throw down some weed seed, blow some dandelions in there, water the heck out of it and call it done. Before you go to all the time and expense you are talking about, I'd let them out there for a season and just watch what they do to the natural weeds. They are slower than a weed whacker, but much more effective.

I worry about the rocks on the left side. Watch out for flipping or climbing.

Nice pen though. I like the "feel" of it.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
Yeah I plan on moving the rocks from the inside probably outside. I worry if the run into them they'd fall or something to hurt them which I don't want to happen. Today I bought top soil and manure to raise it up. What would you recommend for plants to put in there enclosure? I was going to buy hostas but if someone else recommends something else I'd love to hear it !

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
haha sorry for asking the same question again in my previous comment, i should read more carefully! thats what i love about sulcatas- natures lawnmowers. i have to get grass established in my enclosure first. im considering putting in some hides for them also. hopefully my sulcatas will thrive in there enclosure.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
jobeanator said:
haha sorry for asking the same question again in my previous comment, i should read more carefully! thats what i love about sulcatas- natures lawnmowers. i have to get grass established in my enclosure first. im considering putting in some hides for them also. hopefully my sulcatas will thrive in there enclosure.

Joby , looks like your off to a great start! .. The idea of a hide is a must , and you can create both natural,or dog~loo type ( they are weather resistent and with a little creativity can be made very attractive...I have some examples, just let me know.) to give your torts some peace. After checking your area out ,,I have a great idea....
If you would take and raise the middle of the enclosure with fill dirt and create an " island" ..and then put your " hide" atop this...mound. This will give you 360* access to your enlcosure for viewing and walk~a~round space that will allow for maintenance/ cleaning , much easier to " herd up " and make a head count .Also, the torts will like it. It creates a natural island for them to walk instead of " pacing" a fence or wall line.And a little hill climb is always good before a nights rest. You should plan on running a cord/elec. out to the mound ( bury it ) ..and up inside your "hide" ..soon...the torts will know .. where " home is " you will see them come in and out of the hide during feeding times and walking out in the am. ..another neat thing is a " Hide in the round" sorta speak ... allows for the grass to grow more evenly instead of a < worn track> ... that larger sullies.. make in short time. The hide centered on the mound can be, even or slightly higher than your walls " torts cant jump:p ) ....which again gives for great viewing. This would also allow a designated corner for feeding/water area. Which is nice and easy to keep clean, and left over water/food away form the "main" hide. All and all your off to a great start ..... and I'am envious ...My favo thing ... is "new space" to build. Keep us posted and have fun!
HAPPY TORT~N !
JD~:)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I have Hosta and Hens & Chicks now and plan to add some Day-lilly and Jonny Jump up soon.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Your off to a great start for your Sulcata. I liked what Tom had to say it kind of makes everything come into perspective when you think about what your pen will look like after your little guy gets in it. :D Post pictures of him in it. I would love to see them. :)

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
Yeah defently when I start to get grass growing ill bring out my herd of sulcatas . There itching to get out in there new pen !

M

Maggie Cummings

Rose of Sharon (hibiscus) I started some from seed and they are about an inch tall now, I couldn't put a tort in with them now tho. But they will grow and have big beautiful blooms in a few years. Bob loves them. I like to plant different squashes, the torts love to eat the blooms and leaves. Yes, to the Day Lillies but no Asiatic lillies, they are toxic for tortoises..

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
Haha yeah my sulcatas are growing fast . I think I'm going to put some rose of Sharon in there and some hostas in there for shade . I will be posting pics as soon as I have it completed !

S

Scooter

Great start! My sully loves moss rose but makes very quick work of it so you would need a lot for your bunch.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
just thought id give a update on my enclosure i have setup for my sulcatas:D. ive planted some grazing seed mix with some red clover. i also spreaded some dandilion seeds everywhere for them to munch apon. heres my enclosure up to date. i have yet to put in a place for them to hide in, but i plan on putting something in there, i just dont know yet. i have my 3 sullys out, which were all given to me from people that didnt know what to do when it started growing and from people that know i keep tortoises. well i hope you all enjoy the updated pics!:D -joby

b525eabe.jpg

ddb9532f.jpg

f8db15d2.jpg

6e1e7c35.jpg

c888dd4c.jpg

04ae42a1.jpg

ccaa752f.jpg

867a3948.jpg

973d4d53.jpg

0acb1bb3.jpg

20a84c19.jpg

af9ada74.jpg

5820997e.jpg

2d569656.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
LOL love the mouth on the third from end picture. Looks like they enjoyed getting to spend time outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.