Start of An RI?

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
So yesterday Skurt slept all day. No food, no roaming, just slept. This morning I woke up to her devouring yesterday’s food in whole and thought ok all is well. She quickly tucked back to bed and has stayed that way.

I brought her out for a soak and notice a nasal whistle. Mouth closed, eyes clear, nose clear but she sounds congested. I have no clue how to post a video and don’t upload to YouTube or anywhere but it’s subtle at best. Just not a sound I’ve ever heard her make.

daniellenc

Maryland
Skurt was still asleep this morning when I left but as of last night sounded the same. I am wondering if her recent move into a much larger cage and in a new area of the house is to blame possibly? Her temps are always in the 80's and humidity perfect. She's in her AP cage now but currently it's a bit bare with only her hides. I had tried fake plants while waiting to find pothos not grown in fertilizer but she tries to eat them and is big enough to potentially pull some of the plastic leaves off. Do you all wait until the tortoise has stopped eating, is mouth gaping, or has runny puffy eyes before making a vet appointment? I ask because I am going out of town for a week and don't want her to become severely ill while I'm gone, but I also don't want her put on antibiotics if they aren't necessary. Is every RI bacterial?

I found this vet close to my house: https://www.marylandexotics.com/exotic-pet-care-guides/tortoises.php

Reading the linked care sheet the information isn't perfect, but better than many i've seen. Any opinions are appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Skurt was still asleep this morning when I left but as of last night sounded the same. I am wondering if her recent move into a much larger cage and in a new area of the house is to blame possibly? Her temps are always in the 80's and humidity perfect. She's in her AP cage now but currently it's a bit bare with only her hides. I had tried fake plants while waiting to find pothos not grown in fertilizer but she tries to eat them and is big enough to potentially pull some of the plastic leaves off. Do you all wait until the tortoise has stopped eating, is mouth gaping, or has runny puffy eyes before making a vet appointment? I ask because I am going out of town for a week and don't want her to become severely ill while I'm gone, but I also don't want her put on antibiotics if they aren't necessary. Is every RI bacterial?

I found this vet close to my house: https://www.marylandexotics.com/exotic-pet-care-guides/tortoises.php

Reading the linked care sheet the information isn't perfect, but better than many i've seen. Any opinions are appreciated!
You can't really make a care sheet one-size-fits-all. There are too many variables among the different species of tortoise.

Since you're going to be gone for a week, I'd have a vet visit before you go.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Oh no! It's it possible maybe she has got some food lodged in her throat causing the noise? As long as she's still eating I wouldn't worry much yet. If she does stop eating all together that would be cause for concern.

daniellenc

Maryland
Oh no! It's it possible maybe she has got some food lodged in her throat causing the noise? As long as she's still eating I wouldn't worry much yet. If she does stop eating all together that would be cause for concern.
She ate an entire scrambled egg and two piles of greens her size yesterday. The day before was two piles of greens and half a mango. Three poops between the two days as well so I'm just watching. I'm traveling Friday-Tuesday but my daughter will be staying at my house and is aware to monitor food, poop, mouth, breathing, and eyes. So far she looks like skurt with a subtle sound. Not sure if you could hear it on the video, but I think the noise is from her noise which looks clear from the outside. Thought about a saline flush but then wondered if I would just inadvertently push fluid in her lungs so I'm just watching.