Stars Not eating.... :-(

turtletania

5 Year Member
was it not eating and moving around ?

That's right.... barely moving around, off the food. But still drinking every time we gave a bath. But the off the food was a slow decrease, not a sudden stop. The other one is doing incredibly well, eating, walking around. It's just amazing.

turtletania

5 Year Member
Tom, hope you are around.... Just wondering... we have been watching Starfire closely and have been amazed at the incredible "bounce back" we have seen. Within minutes of what happened today, Starfire was walking, eating etc. Totally back to normal. Is this because there was 2 of them together? I find it amazing.
I can and will leave her (?) by herself now as all the others are separated so she can stay in her own enclosure now.....
I replaced the heat lamp today with an ExoTerra 50W Infrared day/night lamp. According to the internet it was the best option (for the available options I had)..... do you agree? The net says to keep this at about 4 inches for 100degree temps..... That seems very low to me.... is that ok? I have only put it at about 6or7 inches for now.
What about her water bowl? We use a very large planter tray, it's one of the low ones so she can climb in and out without difficulty, what do you use?
Please let me know.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi Tania. So many things about how we keep our tortoises are just personal preference, but some things that I prefer are based on good reasons why I think the way I choose to do it is better. I'll explain for each of your questions.

1. It is possible that pair stress was one contributing factor. The only way to attempt to "measure" this would have been to change that one variable and no other. In your case, temperature was also a factor. Starfire doesn't have to live alone, I just wouldn't keep her with a lone adult male. Groups of one male and two or more females usually do fine. Its just pairs that seem to have problems in my experience.
2. I don't like infra red bulbs, or any other kind of "colored" bulbs. They make things look odd to our tortoises. It can cause them to eat their substrate and mess up their day/night cycles. And only your thermometer can answer the questions about bulb height. I prefer to use ceramic heating elements set on thermostats. These keep things dark, but still warm enough, and never too warm.
3. I'd have to see your water tray to evaluate it. I prefer terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate. I don't like plastic because it is too slick.

I can't remember if I linked this yet or not, but here is how I recommend they be housed. The title says its for sulcatas and leopards, but I house my stars identically.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

This might help too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

turtletania

5 Year Member
I got rid of the infrared. We have driven the almost 100km each way and found a ceramic heat thing. It is a 100W.... now to just see what temps it will create. Starfire is still eating, so that is good, but I am worried about the temps still. Have also got an extra temp gauge so I can check both ends of the enclosure.
Thanks Tom, gladly the water bowl is exactly what you said - a terracotta plant saucer. It is plenty big enough for her to sit in.

turtletania

5 Year Member
She is still doing ok.... But not moving around as much as she used to. She is eating well.
Temps are now 100@basking spot..... 90-95 just near that end. And 80-85 at the other end.
Hoping these small adjustments will help her.