Star Tortoise (MBD) Shell is alittle soft, leather feel.

leno

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I have a star tortoise from August 2012 almost 3-4 years of age, I have noticed that the shell of my tort is abit soft to the touch.
By this age, my tort should be grown to a palm size, whereby I have noticed that the shell did not seem to grow much, and currently in the picture attached, she can only go into her carapace max with her head still popping out.

I am very worried! I have read up and gotten Exo-Terra Sun Glo 160w UVB for my star tort. And have been giving calcium powder.

Question now, Is it too late to save my star tortoise from growing normally? And what can i feed my tort for additional calcium vegetables? Pls advise.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Attachments

• IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 51

AnimalLady

Where have you been housing her? What kind of set up and what kind of lights?

I'm new to this too, but, I think the others (more experienced tort owners) will need to know some of that information.

Good luck!

leno

5 Year Member
i've been housing her in enclosed habitat, so it would need uvb lighting which i just found out recently...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
i've been housing her in enclosed habitat, so it would need uvb lighting which i just found out recently...
She has not had any UVB until now? Get her into natural sunlight every day for about an hour. Be sure she has shade and water with her. This poor thing as been without important UVB for three years. It will be a fight, but it's a good chance that she will start to grow with proper care.
Please give us pictures, temps, humidity and diet. How often do you soak her? Are you using coil type bulbs? If so stop using them. They cause eye problems. Besides getting her outside daily when it's warm, get a mercury vapor bulb for indoors. They have the best UVB output.
@Tom might be able to give you some more help. You have three years to make up for with this one. Good luck.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

You been a member for quite some time. Wish you would have checked back in a long time ago. For the future, almost everything needs UVB to live and survive. Anything that doesn't, probably wouldn't be able to be in a human hands.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For the future, almost everything needs UVB to live and survive. Anything that doesn't, probably wouldn't be able to be in a human hands.

I love you Mommasita, but this is not accurate. Most animals get their D3 through their diet. Some reptiles must have UV like iguanids, agamids, chameleons, tortoises, etc…, but many like tegus, blue tongue skinks and pythons live their entire lives indoors with no UV and they are fine.

leno

5 Year Member
She has not had any UVB until now? Get her into natural sunlight every day for about an hour. Be sure she has shade and water with her. This poor thing as been without important UVB for three years. It will be a fight, but it's a good chance that she will start to grow with proper care.
Please give us pictures, temps, humidity and diet. How often do you soak her? Are you using coil type bulbs? If so stop using them. They cause eye problems. Besides getting her outside daily when it's warm, get a mercury vapor bulb for indoors. They have the best UVB output.
@Tom might be able to give you some more help. You have three years to make up for with this one. Good luck.

This is the setup I have for my star tortoises.
Temperature during busking should be 32-34 degrees Celsius. / Regular tempt 27-32 all year round.
Humidity : 79%
Diet : still working to give the best.
I'm soaking her daily
Bulb would be exo-terra solar glo 125w UVA/UVB & another for backup sun glo UVA
Will try to make time to get her out in the sun, as by the time I got home from work, it's already dark.
Thanks so much for your advise.

Attachments

• IMG_1658.JPG
    IMG_1658.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 29

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I love you Mommasita, but this is not accurate. Most animals get their D3 through their diet. Some reptiles must have UV like iguanids, agamids, chameleons, tortoises, etc…, but many like tegus, blue tongue skinks and pythons live their entire lives indoors with no UV and they are fine.

I know, that's why I said most. I just want the importance of UVB with this tortoise stressed here:p:D

leno

5 Year Member
Apologies for duplicate threads, cos I'm still unfamiliar with the forum, and due to this topic is "New and Need help" and another is "health" so i posted on the health topic just in case i'm in the wrong section.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Apologies for duplicate threads, cos I'm still unfamiliar with the forum, and due to this topic is "New and Need help" and another is "health" so i posted on the health topic just in case i'm in the wrong section.

I know it can be a little weird..so I mention so the others will also know for reference...