Star tortoise help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amelon

5 Year Member
Hi guys i don't know if finding help in this forum is correct for my star tortoise but i'm going to give it a try.

My 12 years old star tortoise has not been eating for the past 1 week! He also have his eyes closed and does not move at all! But i know he is alive, because from time to time i can see his muscles contract, causing the arms and head to move back into the shell a little. The shell is also a little squishy, as compared to last time i can actually compress the shell a little.

This is the first time in 12 years something like that happened to my tortoise. I have never gave him UV light or something ever since i had him and nothing goes wrong until now.

Any help please ? :(:(:(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
His shell is squishy, both top and bottom shells? You said no UV, but has he gotten time outside or time with any natural sunlight at all? Along with no UV, what kind of diet have you given him? Any calcium, cuttlebone, or other supplements?

Are you able to take him to a tortoise vet or do you not have any near you at all?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
its not good... tell us more.
was it ever outside in the sun? what kind of food did it eat?
calcuim? temps?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
A week without eating is not as worrisome as the soft shell, followed also by his lack of movement.

amelon

5 Year Member
hi thanks for the quick reply and the help! really appreciate it!

the softness is when i try to carry it up while holding both sides of the shell. i can feel that i can press it a little but i try not to.

the diet i gave him was long beans and lettuce and other greens at times.

ever since i had him it was in my house and i never let it walk in sunlight. as this creature is illegal in my country, i have no access to a vet and i cant really let it walk around in the sun.

im really worried :(

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I guess to be blunt, your going to need to decide how much you want this tortoise to live. You are going to need to get this guy out into natural sunlight, even if just for a few minutes at a time.

Have you given him warm water soaks? Just up to where his two shells meet. It won't help with the shell issue, but may get him to be more awake and eating.

How warm is he right now?

amelon

5 Year Member
but he is ok for the past years even without the sunlight, what cause the sudden change?

i can say he isnt really warm now. im going to try the warm water soak right now.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If he is too cold, that too will cause him to be inactive and give that almost dead look. Any way to give us the temperature he is being kept at?

amelon

5 Year Member
around 27 degree.c i guess. i just put him into warm water, in fact i think it is a little too warm. the tortoise started to become active and walk around, not sure if he is struggling.

the shell is soft from the side where the shells meet all the way to the bottom.

oh by the way he has not be passing motion for the past week at the same time. could this be a problem with his digestive system or isit just that he didnt eat.

i just got him out of the water and dried him up. he ends up motionless again

River14

5 Year Member
Amelon is this your first post its just it does seem remarkably like Roms posts. Or are you are all keeping illegal torts out there. I cant believe it has lasted so long without real sun and with your diet. My hatchlings are as hard as hard plastic already. I simply cnnot believe you've had this Star so long. May you post a picture?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The main and biggest problem right now is the soft shell if a tortoise's shell starts going soft, then it is time to worry. I don't know how vets in your country work but most if not all vets in the US won't turn someone in for an illegal animal unless it is incredibly dangerous animal. You will, like jaqui says decide how much you want to keep your animal and if it lives or not. Please don't take our bluntness as being mean we want you and your tort to be happy, if you do decide to not take your animal to the vets it will need sunshine and calcium and lots of it and as much as possible, you will also need a good UVB light for it's health, I am honestly amazed it has lived 12 years without access to sunlight, but stranger things have happened.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Tortoises live slowly, tortoises die slowly. I am sad to hear the condition of your tortoise....my heart is heavy for your tortoise.

I understand you explain the tortoise you have is illegal where you are. I understand that you selected to be the caregiver for the tortoise, even knowing that it was illegal, therefore, I plead with you to do the brave thing now and get that guy out in the natural sun, even if you sit right with him in a lets say laundry basket or such for 15 or 20 minutes at a time several times a day...maybe have a clothing item handy to toss onto him if someone were to approach...

Your tortoises life is 100% in your hands. What choices you have made up to this point may have contributed to the current shell/other health conditions.

You continue to state he has been fine for the last 12 years...I can assure you, by what you are describing, he has not been fine likely for some time. Tortoises can be ill for long before you can see any symptoms....

Be brave and do right, please

River14

5 Year Member
Probs is unless your vet is a small animal expert including reptiles they are going to be as much in the dark as yourself. The thing to do is if you have a zoo is contact the reptile expert there in person and tell them the story. This way you will learn and get the advice and help you need. Dont leave it too long. They will know exctly how to treat the animal and if urgent vetinary care is needed, they will also know the right vets to use. Dont be shy on this they would never call the cops when an animals wellfare is at stake. They might even offer to take them in for awhile or research the problems for you. If they have too many StARS they can deal with all the better as far as advice is concerned. Dont be put off ask ask and ask.

River14

5 Year Member
"tortoises can be ill for a long time before......" Ascott these are golden words.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi amelon:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

The tortoise is soft because he has been living for a long time without real sunshine and an improper diet.

He needs calcium-rich foods and sunshine to make the calcium work. Without it, his bones and shell become weak and he eventually dies. Just as in humans with osteoporosis, this is a very painful condition for the tortoise. He is motionless because it hurts him to move.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Hmmm. I know someone that helps fund and get donations for vets in foreign countrys that service illegal tortoises anonymously, mainly Asia. Maybe there's a way to put you in touch with a vet or my friend. What country are you in?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Get him outside. That's the best thing you can do right now. Illegal or not, you have responsibility for his health.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
Did he/she ever say where he's from? It is illegal in my country too but vets dont mind, our vet himself has a full grown star. Oh this makes me so sad :(

Status
Not open for further replies.