Stanley the sulcata in Tennessee

kdwyer2011

Location (City and/or State)
Nashville, TN
Hello,
I am in Nashville TN and have a sulcata tortoise named Stanley that I aquired as a baby about 5 years ago. Now due to housing changes he must go outside to live permanently. I have a big yard and planned on giving him a portion with a heated enclosure. I will not be able to bring him in for any legnth of time. I bought a rubbermaid shed that is 7.5 x 7.5 x 8 tall. Am I kidding myself with the winters in Nashville? If not, is there anyone experienced with converting sheds to suitable homes for hire in TN?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hello,
I am in Nashville TN and have a sulcata tortoise named Stanley that I aquired as a baby about 5 years ago. Now due to housing changes he must go outside to live permanently. I have a big yard and planned on giving him a portion with a heated enclosure. I will not be able to bring him in for any legnth of time. I bought a rubbermaid shed that is 7.5 x 7.5 x 8 tall. Am I kidding myself with the winters in Nashville? If not, is there anyone experienced with converting sheds to suitable homes for hire in TN?
Welcome to the forum!! You have a good 3 months before you have to worry about winter, & you did come to the right forum to get great info & suggestions for getting the outdoor enclosure situation right for your sulcata. There are a lot of threads about building outdoor enclosures, so do browse & post questions. We have many owners to give you good, sound advice. So welcome!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,
Yes. You are kidding yourself. Those sheds don't work even in warm climates, and a 5 year old sulcata needs a huge warm area to roam. They can't live in something that small for months at a time.