Stand For Animal Plastics Enclosures

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Someone asked a while back how I make the stands for my AP enclosures. Thought I would show how simple it is to build one with some pics:
IMG_6410.JPG

I cut a piece of plywood just a little bigger than the bottom of the enclosure and then I frame it with 2x4s. This enclosure is 48x30", so I made the bottom about 49x31. I like to have a little extra surface area, but this is not a necessity. In this case, I added 4x4 legs with wheels on the bottom, so I can roll the stack of enclosures away from the wall to adjust timers and thermostats as needed.
IMG_6413.JPG

IMG_6414.JPG

This enclosure is set up for my new snake, so it would have different substrate and furniture for a tortoise.
IMG_6544.JPG

This stand holds a stack of two of these enclosures. I needed:
  • A partial sheet of plywood.
  • 3 2x4s.
  • Half of a 4x4 post.
  • A mitre saw.
  • Some deck screws and a screw gun.
  • 4 casters.
If the legs were taller, or if this was going to be heavier, I might add some 2x4 supports across the legs, but it was not needed for this application. Because this will remain dry and indoors, I didn't feel the need to paint it with anything. I like the look and smell of plain uncoated wood, but that is just personal preference.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Super cool! Could this method be used to make tortoise tables if you pinned plywood to the sides?