Stamford's (Conneticut )SoundWaters Rescues 22 Baby Turtles Bound For Soup Pots

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-turtles-saved-ct-20150211-story.html
Where there is a video of Leigh Shemitz, president of the SoundWaters environmental education center in Stamford, explains how the facility helped to rescue 22 baby diamondback terrapin turtles that were confiscated from international smugglers in Alaska.

By David Moran, Hartford Courant

SoundWaters, the Stamford-based environmental education center, received some unexpected guests in December just before the holidays. Twenty-two of them to be exact.

But staff at one of the leading environmental education organizations on Long Island Sound weren't about to complain.

SoundWaters' guests -- 22 baby diamondback terrapin turtles – had been seized from international smugglers in Alaska by officials from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and U.S. Customs and Border Protection Service. The environmental group's brood were part of 211 baby turtles that were found stuffed into boots at the Anchorage airport in December of 2014.

The turtles were likely bound for China, where turtle soup is considered a delicacy and the market for turtles is lucrative, according to SoundWaters President Leigh Shemitz.

When Shemitz said SoundWaters learned that officials were looking for foster homes for the turtles, she said the facility "jumped at the opportunity."

"The call went out to people who are involved in turtle research and education to find home for these turtles," Shemitz said. "We're part of a nationwide group, they reached out, and we said we'll take as many as you need."

Shemitz said the turtles, which are about 4 to 6 months old and 1 to 2 inches in size, are "now thriving" at SoundWaters and plans are in place to introduce the turtles to the public in the spring. In the meantime, many of the turtles got to take their first plunge into deep water on Wednesday.

"Today's the first time they actually got into our terrapin exhibit and went from maybe a two-foot long small tank to actually being in a large tank where they can dive and climb and they really seem to like it," she said.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I wonder if the diamondback terrapin turtles taste better? That sounds terrible but they sure went through allot of trouble to smuggle that particular type of turtle. They are so cute and sure do look happy in that big setup.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Bingo. I wonder why they missed that.

Many chelonians are headed for the food market even though they have more value in the pet trade. It's called conspicuous consumption - a new and compelling demonstration of wealth and disposable income.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Bingo. I wonder why they missed that.

I didn't know this, but had wondered if they wouldn't have been worth more then for the use of soup. The RES I would think would be preferred for soup as the would be very cheap and an over abundance of them.
No, I do not want any turtle used for soup, just saying.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
There is something about, “the rarer something is, the tastier it is." Same seems to go with rare flowers being prettier...and no, I don't want to eat no turtle or tortoise either.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
for food consumption market in china, the low end turtle species are those produced in millions every year ----RES, reeves, snapping and soft shell.
The high end, “the rarer something is, the tastier it is." are Cuora trifasciata

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
It's also a status symbol to keep the rare, pretty turtle.

When you serve a turtle as soup, the species is less important, since most of it is gone. Just the meat is there.

That's my thought on it anyway. I think we might be underestimating how HUGE the pet trade in China is. They don't just eat animals over there.