Spur Thighed with a sticky nose

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
So, it's confusing because Blodwyn has half a converted wardrobe and my housemate's tortoise has the other half. We bought them together but separated them with a high wall after reading about the dangers of keeping two tortoises together. Because my housemate looks after his tortoise differently to me, I do not want to show his half of the enclosure - he has all the relevant information and what he choses to do with it is not my responsibility.

It is covered with plastic sheeting which is clipped down - we ordered a humidity meter a while ago but it seems to be lost in transit. But I do keep the coconut coir so that it is completely a dark colour and mist their enclosure regularly.

We use Exo Terra 150w bulbs - we were using 100w but because it's quite cold at the moment in our house we've boosted it up to help keep them warmer. They share the bulb which goes over both sides.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

i agree with Maggie completely..
Your house for her is ok (for now) but they DO each need a separate light/heat system..
They can share the tube UVB fixture
But CHE is a bulb that emits heat but NO light (for nigh time temps)
And a flood bulb is needed for heat
Thermostat and thermometers will help tell you if they each have enough on either side.
Trust me ...from experience....
You’ll want to listen to this forum NOW as opposed to ending up with REAL problems LATER....or find yourself in a vet getting help or worse... surgery!
there is ALWAYS a reason for listening to everybody here.. even if YOU don’t understand it... they know ... they just know...!
Just trying to help ❤️??
Please give us an update when you are ready....?

EmiliaEvan

Worcestershire, England
Hi, I will invest in her own bulb and a ceramic heater. The temperature of their enclosure does not dip below 20 degrees Celsius at night so would we still need to ceramic heater when she does not have a runny nose? I have a thermostat so can control it with that but our reasonable in door temperature was the initial reason I never purchased one. What would you set the CHE thermostat to at night when she's sick?
When she better it seems about 20 degrees is about optimum.

She's also been really active and less snotty the last few days so hopefully she is feeling better.

Thank you for all the help so far :) It's great to have support!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi, I will invest in her own bulb and a ceramic heater. The temperature of their enclosure does not dip below 20 degrees Celsius at night so would we still need to ceramic heater when she does not have a runny nose? I have a thermostat so can control it with that but our reasonable in door temperature was the initial reason I never purchased one. What would you set the CHE thermostat to?

She's also been really active and less snotty the last few days so hopefully she is feeling better.

Thank you for all the help so far :) It's great to have support!
Don't do this yet...but this California girl, thinks that at night your temp should not fall below 27 Celsius and day 35 c...I think, interesting if I got it right

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
One bulb between two is a recipe for disaster.

Each enclosure needs it’s own basking lamp and UV source which must not be obstructed in any way.

You must get two basking lamps.

Each enclosure also needs a separate reptile UVB lamp as the bulb you showed does not provide the essential UVB. Do not purchase the type of UVB that looks like a low energy light bulb, they cause eye problems in tortoises; it needs to be a fluorescent tube type bulb.

To maintain night heat, each enclosure needs its own Ceramic Heat Emitter each with a thermostat.

You must get a proper thermometer like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0873179GF/?tag=

You must treat enclosure separately for everything. There are no short cuts.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Don't do this yet...but this California girl, thinks that at night your temp should not fall below 27 Celsius and day 35 c...I think, interesting if I got it right
You are correct
Oh man, I got it right, now I'm gonna try crumpets with my tea...lol (what IS a crumpet anyway)?

EmiliaEvan

Worcestershire, England
Ah, thanks for the info. I will up their temps.

I'm slightly confused because the care sheet (https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/) says "For babies, I like the night temp to drop to the high 60s or low 70s. They can certainly tolerate it colder than that at night as long as they can warm up each day, but 70ish works well for most situations", so I assumed that in our centrally heated house we would not need to have added tortoise heaters at night.

I have a CHE on the way, which I will hook up the thermostat and ensure they are warmer at night. :) Thanks for all the help :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

I'm slightly confused because the care sheet (https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/) says "For babies, I like the night temp to drop to the high 60s or low 70s. They can certainly tolerate it colder than that at night as long as they can warm up each day, but 70ish works well for most situations", so I assumed that in our centrally heated house we would not need to have added tortoise heaters at night.

I have a CHE on the way, which I will hook up the thermostat and ensure they are warmer at night. :) Thanks for all the help :)
We are saying warmer because your baby is sick. It has a respiratory infection. It can’t tolerate the temperature drops at the moment

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

once a long time ago....
Someone on here summed it all up for me about these CHE recommendations...
Here is how it went...

Take ALL of your clothes off...
And go lay down flat on your back on the kitchen floor. Stay there for a half hour or so.
That is how your tortoise (whatever kind)
is feeling.
We are up in the middle of the room feeling the heat, but way down on floor level it actually IS ssssoooooooo different.
It was a very wise and true statement that I never forgot...
My CHE is on (at night) at ALL times set on a thermostat. That way it doesn’t burn her.
Hope this helps you to understand why it IS important to your baby.

oh...and by the way?....
I almost peed myself from laughing at that comment that someone told me long ago..
?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
once a long time ago....
Someone on here summed it all up for me about these CHE recommendations...
Here is how it went...

Take ALL of your clothes off...
And go lay down flat on your back on the kitchen floor. Stay there for a half hour or so.
That is how your tortoise (whatever kind)
is feeling.
We are up in the middle of the room feeling the heat, but way down on floor level it actually IS ssssoooooooo different.
It was a very wise and true statement that I never forgot...
My CHE is on (at night) at ALL times set on a thermostat. That way it doesn’t burn her.
Hope this helps you to understand why it IS important to your baby.

oh...and by the way?....
I almost peed myself from laughing at that comment that someone told me long ago..
?
lololololololololololololololo lolololololol That was MY sister...it makes sense doesn't it! ?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
lololololololololololololololo lolololololol That was MY sister...it makes sense doesn't it! ?

I knew who it was!.....
but I didn’t want to name names
Incase the person whom said it might have said....
“I never said that!” ?
She is Wonderful!!!
And smart!
That’s a great way to see “THE TORTS” side of things....
She should come up with more of those!!!!