Spur-thighed tortoise.

emmasykes_xo

I got 2 tortoises today. They're spur-thighed. I just want to know any advice and tips I should know. For example should I leave them together? How long should they stay outside for? How long will they live for? Thankyou any of your help would be grateful!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
I got 2 tortoises today. They're spur-thighed. I just want to know any advice and tips I should know. For example should I leave them together? How long should they stay outside for? How long will they live for? Thankyou any of your help would be grateful!
Hello! Are you new? If so, welcome!

Pretty tortoises! What are their names?

Leaving them together is not the best idea. Tortoises are solitary animals and they tend to get stressed, when put together in small spaces. Males usually stress out females, especially when the ratio is 1:1. Breeders normally keep one male with 3+ females. (This was my personal experience, when I first got them. They're happily divorced now. ;) )

Two of the same sex might compete for resources and one might not get as much food as the other. Stress can also cause them to aggress against one another. That said, some people are successful in keeping 2 torts together, but that usually requires vast amounts of space and hiding places, so they can avoid each other if needed. Do you know the sec of your torts?

Also, can you tell us your location? Your geographic location will determine what you'll need to do for your torts. For now, you can put them outside for a few hours a day, but be sure to provide them with some shade and a shallow water dish.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

emmasykes_xo

Thankyou very much. They are called Jake and tiger (my little brother name them!) I live about 5 minutes away from Heathrow. The woman I brought them off said they were fine together because they have been brought up together since they were born. However I will keep a close eye on them! Thankyou for your help

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . You may want to get the next torts are loners but they do great in groups of 3 or more ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408309317.064255.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Thankyou very much. They are called Jake and tiger (my little brother name them!) I live about 5 minutes away from Heathrow. The woman I brought them off said they were fine together because they have been brought up together since they were born. However I will keep a close eye on them! Thankyou for your help
You're welcome. Jake and Tiger are cute names. :)

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Judyann

Welcome. Your torts are loverly. I have 2 desert tortoises who were not raised together. They are a few years apart. They are in a smallish enclosure and they do fine together. No fighting. They rest in an overturned planter, together, away from the sun. We all live in Tucson, AZ so it may be that the heat just takes the fight out of them.

emmasykes_xo

We have had the first feed this morning and I think Jake might be a little hungry. We hand fed them some bine weed and as I was hand feeding tiger, Jake snatched it for himself. I put tiger in a basket to himself to eat and he are perfectly fine. However I put him back in and they seem fine now so maybe Jake was just hungry. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408347506.858726.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408347524.084249.jpg

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
As much as they can eat in 20 mins. But feed seperate, or else one won't got any. Jake is probably dominant over tiger, which means stress=bad for tiger.