Spur fell off rear foot

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
While we are in the worming process of Sheldon, we have removed all of his substrate to avoid re-infection. He has not been shy at all to share his displeasure and annoyance of the changes. Usually when he would walk the length of his enclosure he would avoid the sides for the most part. Now that he is grumpy and agitated, a few times a day he will bang his shell into the sides. Loud enough to make my dog think somebody is knocking at the door and cause him to bark lol. He's also been grinding his arms and legs occasionally into the sides as well. Today I noticed one of the Spurs by his rear foot has broken off, and another one on the other foot is partially broken. I didn't notice any blood or anything and we have not applied anything to it yet. Was wondering if anyone else has experienced these breaking off? If I should apply any ointment to it? Probably a stupid question, but do they grow back? It was the tiny one just below the larger one in the middle.20180331_110828.jpg

Bee62

Germany
Hello, from your picture I can`t see nothing unnormal. What do you mean ? What has fallen off ??

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hello, from your picture I can`t see nothing unnormal. What do you mean ? What has fallen off ??
Ya, sorry about that I was having a hard time getting him to hold still. There's the nails on one side, and then the spur things on the other. He lost one of them. It looks like it broke or wore off. The only reason I noticed it, is because when I got done soaking him today and I noticed one on the other foot first that looked like it was starting to break off and then notice this one that was all the way off.

Bee62

Germany
Ya, sorry about that I was having a hard time getting him to hold still. There's the nails on one side, and then the spur things on the other. He lost one of them. It looks like it broke or wore off. The only reason I noticed it, is because when I got done soaking him today and I noticed one on the other foot first that looked like it was starting to break off and then notice this one that was all the way off.
Nails grew new, but are you sure that there is one missing ? I have to look on my sullies feet. They have 4 nails on their back feet, am I right ?

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Nails grew new, but are you sure that there is one missing ? I have to look on my sullies feet. They have 4 nails on their back feet, am I right ?
All of his nails are there, sorry if I'm doing a bad job of explaining it. And I know my pictures aren't the best. It's kind of dark in here right now, and my phone is not the greatest. I believe they're like the spur things that are on their feet and not the nails. Here's a picture of me pointing at 1 that is partially broke.20180331_200122.jpg

Bee62

Germany
All of his nails are there, sorry if I'm doing a bad job of explaining it. And I know my pictures aren't the best. It's kind of dark in here right now, and my phone is not the greatest. I believe they're like the spur things that are on their feet and not the nails. Here's a picture of me pointing at 1 that is partially broke.View attachment 234840
It is possible for a tort to lose a spur and I am sure it will grow back. When there is no blood or wound I would do nothing than observe.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
My pleasure. :)
It is so lovely of you that you are worried about these little things. Your tort is in the best hands.:)
Thank you, my daughter tells me in a joking manner that I have tortoise OCD. I think of a question every day to ask you guys, I try to chill it out a little bit so I don't drive you guys crazy[emoji4]

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
You scared me with the title of the thread [emoji39] glad it sounds like nothing major. Can't wait to hear about Sheldon's grazing trips outside once it warms up more

Jay Bagley

Michigan
You scared me with the title of the thread [emoji39] glad it sounds like nothing major. Can't wait to hear about Sheldon's grazing trips outside once it warms up more
LMAO, yeah I guess the title was a little dramatic. I can't wait myself, next 7 day forecast is all 30s and 40s with possible snow on Wednesday. Hearing my furnace kick on this much this time of year still is a little disheartening.[emoji19]

Bee62

Germany
That`s what I was thinking too ! A very scary thread title ! :eek:

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Charlie regularly wears down his spurs with digging, turning around, and walking next to walls.
Being my first tortoise, I don't know what normal is. So everything that I see that I assume is out of the normal, I panic lol. Charlie looked so good in the pics I have seen of him, if Sheldon grows up to look as healthy as him..I will be happy[emoji3]

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Tortoise OCD is unable to heal..... :(Welcome to the club of suffering people !:D
I am learning when I do worry sumthing is wrong, going through the numerous old threads I can usually find my answer. I'm really glad I did not let my fear of social media sway me from joining this one. It has been very beneficial, and fun too.

Bee62

Germany
I am learning when I do worry sumthing is wrong, going through the numerous old threads I can usually find my answer. I'm really glad I did not let my fear of social media sway me from joining this one. It has been very beneficial, and fun too.
TFO is a social media but nobody has to fear anything here, I think.:D So you are in "good hands".:):)
Have fun and enjoy your cute growing tort.:):tort::<3: That´s what I do too with mine.:)

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania

There's so much useful information in old threads it took almost a year before I needed to sign up to ask a question of my own.

I agree though - a TFO account would be my number one recommendation for new tortoise keepers like us :)

Jay Bagley

Michigan
There's so much useful information in old threads it took almost a year before I needed to sign up to ask a question of my own.

I agree though - a TFO account would be my number one recommendation for new tortoise keepers like us :)
Totally agree with you. When I found out my ex-wife did not want the tortoise anymore, I had about a month to do as much research as possible. Every single question that I would Google, there was almost always multiple old TFO threads that the results would display.