Springtime Allergies

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
if she is otherwise healthy , prednisone , just find the smallest dose that is effective …..if she only needs it in the spring all the better ……. just know it suppresses the immune response , and should always be given with food ……… I've seen 5 mg a day keep a 100lb pitbull from itching for 8-9 yrs……….

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
if she is otherwise healthy , prednisone , just find the smallest dose that is effective …..if she only needs it in the spring all the better ……. just know it suppresses the immune response , and should always be given with food ……… I've seen 5 mg a day keep a 100lb pitbull from itching for 8-9 yrs……….
I used to have a doberman with the spring time itchy skin and I took her to the vet frequently throughout the summer for the prednisone injection. But this dog is close to 70lbs, afraid of my truck and I'm not strong enough to manhandle her into it. So we don't go to the vet.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Our bulldog had the same issue with her foot, she’d gnaw on it while we were sleeping. We made a sock that was tightly velcroed to her foot which worked for her. Would a tightly wrapped ace bandage work? With as skinny as a Dobermans legs are it’d be wrapped around enough times that it would take a long time for her to get it off.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Our bulldog had the same issue with her foot, she’d gnaw on it while we were sleeping. We made a sock that was tightly velcroed to her foot which worked for her. Would a tightly wrapped ace bandage work? With as skinny as a Dobermans legs are it’d be wrapped around enough times that it would take a long time for her to get it off.
Yes, I taped a sock around her leg, using Gorilla tape. It stayed on long enough for the pad to grow back.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
prednisone comes in tablets , 5mg a day might cost $0.25 ……. there is also apoquel which comes in tablets , I believe 24mg might cost about $3.00 a day …… they also use cyclosporine , I think the cost of that would be about $9-10 a day ………. I think all 3 have down sides and need to be used with precautions …... they seem to dissuade from using prednisone , personally I think the low dosages that can often be effective are the least dangerous of the 3 ……..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
prednisone comes in tablets , 5mg a day might cost $0.25 ……. there is also apoquel which comes in tablets , I believe 24mg might cost about $3.00 a day …… they also use cyclosporine , I think the cost of that would be about $9-10 a day ………. I think all 3 have down sides and need to be used with precautions …... they seem to dissuade from using prednisone , personally I think the low dosages that can often be effective are the least dangerous of the 3 ……..
Thank you. I'll talk to my vet.