Springmix pulled from the grocery store due to romaine lettuce

Saltwater60

Location (City and/or State)
New York
This will make my job much harder and more expensive in my opinion. Looking for ideas and what others are doing. Please keep in mind I live on the north and I’m under a deep freeze right now already.
I would buy organic spring mix that contained about 15-16 different greens and some red veggies. My tortoise loved them all and ate it readily. Now it’s all gone off th shelf. I’m hoping it’s only temporary and they will return with or without romaine in the mix.
I bought some red lettuce and baby spinach and she is eating it. I just really liked the variety and felt like spring mix was an easy way to get her good nutrition.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Baby lettuce mixes are not a good tortoise diet. Not without some serious amendments added. This may be a blessing in disguise for you.

If you must use grocery store greens, favor endive and escarole are you main staples. These two are the most weed like in their composition. You should be offering lots of others for variety. Mustard, collard and turnip greens, cilantro, bok choy, radicchio, carrot tops, celery tops, kale, occasional whole green beans, occasional grated yams or squash, etc...

Best to add something for fiber like soaked horse hay cubes or ZooMed Grassland pellets.

Mazuri is a good way to add some variety and its a nice dietary supplement too. Balanced nutrition for tortoises.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
A heavy store bought greens diet, one that heavily favors premium greens such as endive and escarole will usually be the more expensive option during anytime of the year. This is merely one of the easier options to obtain food that can be eaten by tortoises, however, it definitely is not the most nutritionally balanced option.

During the winter, for people with limited indoor and outdoor space for planting, purchasing large quantities of dried weeds, flowers, and succulents is a good option. Adding mazuri and smaller portions of store bought greens will get you through cold months just fine.

Flower and seed mixes are also a very good option for owners that want to plant, dehydrate, and store extra food to later use during colder months of the year.

Saltwater60

New York
I will get a variety of safe house plants growing for her as well. I will attach them to the side of her cage and she can get what hangs over.

I just got her and she has never been taken care of well. I’m working hard to change that. I just built a tank fornher that’s 6 times larger than what she was in previous. Last people that had her told me they fed her cucumbers sand that was it. She’s been in 4 homes now in 14 months. She was getting lethargic, but her new home has her roaming around a lot and she’s much more active. ,

I was up until a week or so ago getting stuff from my garden for her so this has only been a short time. It has now hit about 20F and we’re covered in snow. I can usually find dandelion greens too. I was just looking for a list I guess of what’s good and what’s not. Seems everywhere you read there is a different list honestly. Oh and she does like mustard greens. I did buy them. The spring mix I was buying did have some of the items you listed in the ingredients, but only about 4-5 of them. I will copy the list in my phone notes and buy some this week.
Thanks guys. Many articles I read said spring mixes were great. Even a few posts on here said that. In spring I will go back to my garden and I still have some nice green leaves on my raspberries, hardy geranium, and some water hyacinths left that I stashed for here in my sliders tank. She eats like a champ. I fed her 3 handfuls yesterday.

Saltwater60

New York
Actually if you look at the list of the spring mix I was buying it is not mostly lettuce. I attached a picture. Let me know what you guys think. I think it will come back without the romaine listed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28

Mo & Bolt

Uk
Here in the uk I can still pick my torts green while on the dog walk, 4 degrees but still growing

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28

Saltwater60

New York
Here in the uk I can still pick my torts green while on the dog walk, 4 degrees but still growing
That’s awesome. 4 degrees Celsius is 45F. I’m talking my high today is 22F. It got down to 13F last night. Nothing is growing and everything is wilted. Now there is snow and I can’t see anything to pick even if it was still growing. Stuff will start growing here again in late April. A few years ago in 3 days we received almost 8 feet of snow. Cars were completely buried and roofs were collapsing.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
That’s awesome. 4 degrees Celsius is 45F. I’m talking my high today is 22F. It got down to 13F last night. Nothing is growing and everything is wilted. Now there is snow and I can’t see anything to pick even if it was still growing. Stuff will start growing here again in late April. A few years ago in 3 days we received almost 8 feet of snow. Cars were completely buried and roofs were collapsing.

Yes....exactly! In the mean time, you feed what you have access to! Hope your Winter isnt too bad this year... thats quite the mix of greens in your “mixed salad greens” -

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And my Smart and Final pulled the Santa Barbara Mix even though it only contains endive, escarole and radicchio! That puts a big crimp in my weekly tortoise food.

Saltwater60

New York
All for 35 people in the USA getting sick. The federal government failed to find the source so no one can have it. They need to do their job and find the source, but now with it all pulled off the market good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Actually if you look at the list of the spring mix I was buying it is not mostly lettuce. I attached a picture. Let me know what you guys think. I think it will come back without the romaine listed.
I call most of that lettuce. How many rows of arugula do you think are growing out in the wilderness where your tortoise comes from? By contrast, how many broadleaf weeds do you think are out there?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I call most of that lettuce. How many rows of arugula do you think are growing out in the wilderness where your tortoise comes from? By contrast, how many broadleaf weeds do you think are out there?

I’d call it about half lettuce Tom. Not very much in the way of chicories but a fair amount of brassicas and a little bit from the amaranth family. Arugula is actually a broadleaf weed originating in the Mediterranean. So I think the chance of our tortoises encountering something like it in their native range is actually pretty good. They aren’t going to find any red leaf lettuce, though; that’s for sure!

@Saltwater60 I know it’s hard trying to figure all the foods out. As mentioned by others, the biggest limitation with spring mix is the lack of fiber, which our tortoises need. The softer lettuces in that bag have had been bred to increase plant sugars and decrease fiber to make them less bitter and more palatable to humans (and tortoises!). So the suggestions to supplement with high fiber amendments, like Mazuri, are worth taking.

I’m glad to hear she’s active and eating. :)

Saltwater60

New York
I’d call it about half lettuce Tom. Not very much in the way of chicories but a fair amount of brassicas and a little bit from the amaranth family. Arugula is actually a broadleaf weed originating in the Mediterranean. So I think the chance of our tortoises encountering something like it in their native range is actually pretty good. They aren’t going to find any red leaf lettuce, though; that’s for sure!

@Saltwater60 I know it’s hard trying to figure all the foods out. As mentioned by others, the biggest limitation with spring mix is the lack of fiber, which our tortoises need. The softer lettuces in that bag have had been bred to increase plant sugars and decrease fiber to make them less bitter and more palatable to humans (and tortoises!). So the suggestions to supplement with high fiber amendments, like Mazuri, are worth taking.

I’m glad to hear she’s active and eating. :)
Thanks for the information. I will get some of that today or tomorrow.
I’m just trying to give her a good variety and good mix of things to get her a variety of vitamins and minerals and stuff like that.

Saltwater60

New York
I understand where your coming from and I was not trying to match the weeds that she would find in the wild because this time of year that’s impossible for me to do. What I was and still am trying to figure out is the labyrinth of what is ok for her to eat and is actually good and nutritious for her. I’m trying to give her a good variety to get her nutrition and the vitamins and minerals she needs from as much food as possible. It seems I read this is good on one site then read nope don’t feed that. It’s frustrating and hard to navigate. I’m trying to give her a good diet and her need to be placed in a better home was immediate. She was not being fed enough or properly, she was in an enclosure 2’x3’(zoomed tortoise house) and could barely turn around, her nails and beak are slightly over grown and there were many other issues. She was only being fed a few slices cucumbers daily.

I’m trying my best here and asking questions to gain knowledge. I looked a bunch of stuff up that was in the spring mix and it did not seem heavy on the lettuce that’s why I asked and posted the ingredients. I was grabbing other broadleaf items at the grocery store weekly, but I live in the north and items here are seasonal and spotty to find. I grabbed mustard greens last week and red lettuce was not my first choice, but the other stuff was already wilted and looked horrible sonthat was the darkest green item that looked ok. I’m heading to the grocery store tonight and will grab some tortoise pellets to supplement.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I understand where your coming from and I was not trying to match the weeds that she would find in the wild because this time of year that’s impossible for me to do. What I was and still am trying to figure out is the labyrinth of what is ok for her to eat and is actually good and nutritious for her. I’m trying to give her a good variety to get her nutrition and the vitamins and minerals she needs from as much food as possible. It seems I read this is good on one site then read nope don’t feed that. It’s frustrating and hard to navigate. I’m trying to give her a good diet and her need to be placed in a better home was immediate. She was not being fed enough or properly, she was in an enclosure 2’x3’(zoomed tortoise house) and could barely turn around, her nails and beak are slightly over grown and there were many other issues. She was only being fed a few slices cucumbers daily.

I’m trying my best here and asking questions to gain knowledge. I looked a bunch of stuff up that was in the spring mix and it did not seem heavy on the lettuce that’s why I asked and posted the ingredients. I was grabbing other broadleaf items at the grocery store weekly, but I live in the north and items here are seasonal and spotty to find. I grabbed mustard greens last week and red lettuce was not my first choice, but the other stuff was already wilted and looked horrible sonthat was the darkest green item that looked ok. I’m heading to the grocery store tonight and will grab some tortoise pellets to supplement.
Everyone has this problem at certain times of the year. Happens to me in fall every year when all my planters, grape vines, cactus stands, and mulberry trees go dormant for winter, but the winter rains haven't come yet and made all the annual weeds and grasses sprout. All I'm saying is do your best, use fiber and calcium supplements, don't use a lot of baby lettuces, and use some prepared diets to make sure nutritional needs are met. It sounds like you already understand all of this, and hopefully anyone reading will also get the message. Your questions are welcome! :)

Saltwater60

New York
Everyone has this problem at certain times of the year. Happens to me in fall every year when all my planters, grape vines, cactus stands, and mulberry trees go dormant for winter, but the winter rains haven't come yet and made all the annual weeds and grasses sprout. All I'm saying is do your best, use fiber and calcium supplements, don't use a lot of baby lettuces, and use some prepared diets to make sure nutritional needs are met. It sounds like you already understand all of this, and hopefully anyone reading will also get the message. Your questions are welcome! :)
I appreciate it. Thanks for the help and advice. Your list as well as the one below your list is saved in my phone notes. I’m heading to petsmart and wegmans tonight.
My problem is I have a hard freeze from now until April and nothing grows. I’m going to get some seeds to sprout for her in her cage and I’m going to hang some house plants that are tortoise safe off the edge of her tank. Her tank is 24” tall and she can graze on what hangs into the tank

I sure am trying my best. I have a good base knowledge, but I’m no expert so having you guys on this board is a great resource.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I appreciate it. Thanks for the help and advice. Your list as well as the one below your list is saved in my phone notes. I’m heading to petsmart and wegmans tonight.
My problem is I have a hard freeze from now until April and nothing grows. I’m going to get some seeds to sprout for her in her cage and I’m going to hang some house plants that are tortoise safe off the edge of her tank. Her tank is 24” tall and she can graze on what hangs into the tank

I sure am trying my best. I have a good base knowledge, but I’m no expert so having you guys on this board is a great resource.
Here is an idea that I got from another member here: You can grow several trays of various seeds under lights indoors. Move the substrate out of the way in the enclosure and set a tray in so that it is flush with the substrate. After that tray is eaten or trampled for a few days, swap it out for a new tray and let that one recover. If you grow enough trays, you'll never have to buy or go get food.

Saltwater60

New York
Here is an idea that I got from another member here: You can grow several trays of various seeds under lights indoors. Move the substrate out of the way in the enclosure and set a tray in so that it is flush with the substrate. After that tray is eaten or trampled for a few days, swap it out for a new tray and let that one recover. If you grow enough trays, you'll never have to buy or go get food.
I’m actually going to be setting up a hydroponic set up in my basement at some point.

That is a good idea and I have about 5” of organic soil in her enclosure so it should work well for your idea. Thanks again and I have already looked into getting some tortoise approved seeds.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It seems I read this is good on one site then read nope don’t feed that. It’s frustrating and hard to navigate.

I’m trying

The food lists are really tough at the beginning; even here we don’t always agree. :eek:

You’re already making a vast improvement in her quality of life, including her diet. Next year you will be a pro at winter feeding.