[split] Ploughshare discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
It has been suggested to me, and I must admit the logic behind it, that these are in no way wild ploughshare babies but really captive bred ones.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Ploughshare setup

How on earth do you have a ploughshare, they are critically endangered an illegal to own?

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Ploughshare setup

Ahh because in china you can own anything illegal that is heading towards extinction.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Ploughshare setup

Think of the fine, competent breeders we all know and love here on the forum. Just think what they could do to further the ploughshare tortoises status if they weren't restricted by serious red tape and legalities. Just saying…

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Ploughshare setup

Ploughshares that wind up in china are all stolen from the breeding compounds in Madagascar, which breeds them to be returned to the wild. Someone in china might be breeding them, but not to return to the wild, only to sell as pets to people in china.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Ploughshare setup

I don't think baby ploughshare tortoises are being smuggled out of Madagascar.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Ploughshare setup

Yes they actually are. People have been breaking into the compounds and stealing the hatchlings, easier to smuggle.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
RE: Ploughshare setup

emystiong said:
Nice , but do Plough need that much humidity ? This sp are from dry habitat , remember ?
Cheers

Madagascar is an Island Nation with a mostly Tropic like condition and a small Semi-Arid area.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Ploughshare setup

Ploughshares are found in the semi arid area of Madagascar. They keep the area arid by eating the plants.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

The whole ideal on this species is just sad in general. That said. Introducing captive specimens would do way more harm than good of the wild population. There are many many issues to correct to stabilize the future wild populations. Its sad but in reality the more captive bred specimens the lower the percentage of wild demand/smuggling.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Ploughshare setup

Yeah there needs to be captive breed to be sold to people, and to to put some into the wild to keep a wild species wild.

Such a hard thing to keep in balance and to make sure such a beautiful species go to the right people as well.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

CourtneyG said:
Yeah there needs to be captive breed to be sold to people, and to to put some into the wild to keep a wild species wild.

Such a hard thing to keep in balance and to make sure such a beautiful species go to the right people as well.

Agreed 100%. Maybe one day conservation breeding programs will take the Galapagos island repopulation techniques into consideration. Or even RSA namaqueland and arid geometric. We as people have to change to help the entire picture first.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada

CourtneyG said:
Yes they actually are. People have been breaking into the compounds and stealing the hatchlings, easier to smuggle.

The Project Angonoka is the only ploughshare breeding program in their native habitat. In May 1996, 75 tortoises were stolen. The security has increased and there have been no more thefts. The smuggled ploughshares are all from the Baly Bay region in western Madagascar.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools

Many are still seen for sale on the Internet, in Asia, and at wildlife markets like Jakarta with minimal prosecution, if any.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I split these posts off from the original thread because the OP of that thread was only asking for help with how he can make his habitat better for his tortoise.

If you all continue this discussion, please remember to be civil and don't argue. Also one of our rules is refrain from the discussion of illegal activity, so while we know that it is illegal to take the ploughshare from the wild, we should not discuss how we would do it, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

CourtneyG said:
How on earth do you have a ploughshare, they are critically endangered an illegal to own?

They are endangered, but they are not illegal to own. Certain elements of our society would certainly like you to think they are though.

CourtneyG said:
Ploughshares that wind up in china are all stolen from the breeding compounds in Madagascar, which breeds them to be returned to the wild. Someone in china might be breeding them, but not to return to the wild, only to sell as pets to people in china.

Tony already caught this one. This is not a regular occurrence. It only happened once. I think if you tried it today, you'd be shot.

All the babies we see in private hands today are the results of successful captive breeding, whatever the source of the adults.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thank you to those who cleared up some of the mis-information stated on this thread.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia

Anthony P said:
Many are still seen for sale on the Internet, in Asia, and at wildlife markets like Jakarta with minimal prosecution, if any.

I really don't think that's the case. At least here in my country I can say no more ploughshare/radiata smuggling over here...

The airport is heavily guarded and checked now. At least I can be pretty sure that no more new ploughshares coming here. Sometimes I see one or two ploughshares under advertisement for sell here, but all of them are old stocks which can be easily seen from their size and appearance (many are pyramiding)...

I can only say that some of the breeders here might be really close to breeding this species and actually with additional adults, that will 100% happen here like what Emystiong already did in Malaysia.

Status
Not open for further replies.