Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
torthabitat2.jpg

tortscondo3.jpg

tortspad2.jpg

chrrynregchow.jpg

Here is my out door enclosure...which is in Sunny So Cal ... their out year round. Although Heated/temp control homes are available. A mist line runs through out when temps get hi here. Humidity has never been a problem ..?
JD~
even mini versions with" raised sod beds" can be provided along with some creative housing ( for a nights rest)
back.jpg

KingsCage.jpg

KingsCage2.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Very nice enclosures, N2Torts!

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
N2TORTS said:
torthabitat2.jpg

tortscondo3.jpg

tortspad2.jpg

chrrynregchow.jpg

Here is my out door enclosure...which is in Sunny So Cal ... their out year round. Although Heated/temp control homes are available. A mist line runs through out when temps get hi here. Humidity has never been a problem ..?
JD~
even mini versions with" raised sod beds" can be provided along with some creative housing ( for a nights rest)
back.jpg

KingsCage.jpg

KingsCage2.jpg

ooooooh ahhhhhh ooooh ahhhh. I need to get out of this @#$%^ snow state (MN). I was thinking seriously of more southerly, OR building a room with mostly windows and looking kind of like Tom's enclosure.
Hard to leave the weekly band of 8 I play in- at age 65 won't find that anywhere easily. Ha, "I moved for my tortoise" is as good a reason as any :)

oops not Tom.
JD where ARE you located? I love the boxes and place for heat in them too.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
ooooooh ahhhhhh ooooh ahhhh. I need to get out of this @#$%^ snow state (MN). I was thinking seriously of more southerly, OR building a room with mostly windows and looking kind of like Tom's enclosure.
Hard to leave the weekly band of 8 I play in- at age 65 won't find that anywhere easily. Ha, "I moved for my tortoise" is as good a reason as any :)
[/quote]

oops not Tom.
JD where ARE you located? I love the boxes and place for heat in them too.
[/quote]

Leaving the State ... for torts! <~~~love it...too funny...although ditching the band would be a tuff " gig".
Thanks all * for the positive input on the enclosures.( the last pics of the "box-home"in the first post) I built just 2 days ago for a good friend who has been bitten by the tortoise bug( grin).I call it my plug N play version...its all ready wired , ceramic element w/metal backing plate to shield heat, just plug it in! Wa~ La ....The " Marriot Ritz" for his new redfoots. It put a smile on my face to hear others opinions who truley enjoy the hobby. Iam located in Orange county Ca. about 5 miles from the beach. Red's thrive here, where as the leps and sulcuttas....seem not to fair as well(always keeping an eye out for RNS) due to all moister in air. As my elec.bill reminds me. One "experience" I have is if one seeks to design a large indoor enclosure, say a whole room dedicated to torts.Using both Metal halid and high pressure sodium lights will give you the "ultimate" spectrum for your torts as well as supply ample heating. Use only lights with their own ballast. Lucky for me those days are past and my torts enjoy the Ca sun year round!
Here is another pic of the yard , with this "home" 5'x5' for " harley" a large sulcutta.
tortoisehome.jpg

harleynreds-09.jpg

Happy Torting and Smiles to all!
JD~

And sally too!
sally6-18-09-1.jpg

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
That's awesome! Nice job, looks like somewhere you'd go on vacation too! lol

Just curious, but what are all the different plants growing in there?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
DoctorCosmonaut said:
That's awesome! Nice job, looks like somewhere you'd go on vacation too! lol

Just curious, but what are all the different plants growing in there?

Every thing is "containered" and out of reach of torts. Other than a few low growing grasses and flowers( all tort safe) its all an illusion. Using stumps for natural "fences" and to keep torts out of garden, Containers also allow you to move plants around diffrent times of year for maxium sun exposer. Horticulture is my other hobby, specializing in plumerias( which are toxic to torts) Why I block off sections and only allow natural weeds or tort safe plants within their reach. Like this pen that has Hibiscus, Rose, and some succulents actually planted in-ground. All favos of torts..and healthy too!
tortscondo4.jpg

Checkout~
www.TortoiseCove.com
JD:D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
These enclosures are absolutely gorgeous! I love the caves made with the rocks. Is that sod you put down? They are all beautiful. I especially love the stumps for the natural fences. I am so impressed......I love them.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
terryo said:
These enclosures are absolutely gorgeous! I love the caves made with the rocks. Is that sod you put down? They are all beautiful. I especially love the stumps for the natural fences. I am so impressed......I love them.

Hi Terry , thanks for the thumbs up! :D

One note on Sod. * Caution * when using sod....One must make sure it has a natural backing, not a plastic "mesh" type. Larger torts will chew down past the soil line to the plastic and could ingest it

M

Maggie Cummings

Absolutely beautiful. My Hoya's would love something like that. When I moved from Calif to Oregon I foolishly thought my plants would survive. But there's just not enough sun here. So they are slowly dying off. I have a 12 foot corn plant that is almost dead and I had about 20 or 30 Hoyas and they have slowly died off. I moved several hundred plants Euphorbias, Hoyas, Spider plants, cactus I just can't name them all. I lost a 13 foot weeping fig and just numerous plants like that. I lost a 25 year old Spider plant that took 2 people to move it... dead. To lose the plants is almost as painful as losing any of my tortoises...
gotta go before my eyes start to water...:(

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
cdmay said:
Wow. Nice job all around.
The painting on the hide areas is top notch too.

CD,
Thank you ...I dont know about top notch ..but " to fun" fits the bill! You all have put a smile on my face.....its nice to hear comments from folks who have the same passion.
Smiles and happy torting to all~
JD~
the "torts"
@ Sally the U2

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
You live about 45 minutes from where I live. I'm in Alhambra. How do you protect your Cherryhead and Redfoot from predators? Your enclosures are just beautiful. The first time I looked I thought you must live in Hawaii. :D Can you come over and do that to my backyard for Dale and Ruby? :p Well at least I can steal your idea for the boxes (hides). :D Who painted them? I love the leaves. Does your Sulcata bully your Redfoots? That's about the difference in size that I have with Ruby and Dale and am afraid to let them close to each other. Your Sulcata looked like he could have stepped on your Redfoot to get over him has he ever tried that? I bet it wasn't sunny at your house today right? :D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Candy said:
You live about 45 minutes from where I live. I'm in Alhambra. How do you protect your Cherryhead and Redfoot from predators? Your enclosures are just beautiful. The first time I looked I thought you must live in Hawaii. :D Can you come over and do that to my backyard for Dale and Ruby? :p Well at least I can steal your idea for the boxes (hides). :D Who painted them? I love the leaves. Does your Sulcata bully your Redfoots? That's about the difference in size that I have with Ruby and Dale and am afraid to let them close to each other. Your Sulcata looked like he could have stepped on your Redfoot to get over him has he ever tried that? I bet it wasn't sunny at your house today right? :D

I did in fact think about predators. And if you look real close in some of the more recent shots of the tort pins, they are encased in Black lath wire. approx 1" squares.( I painted it black for better visability/better hide) The only preds here and just a concern for the baby torts , are possums and crows.The worst are rip~off humans.... and chicken wire dosnt keep them out...
12 gauge works! ( grin)...
The Boxes I make myself and are about 80% made from scrap,from work. So its nice to recycle . I do the painting myself " right out of the can";) .... and no Harley hasnt stepped on any of the reds ~ yet~ . I actually dont keep them together( he gets the main yard as pictured), just in that photo they were at "recess":p. He dosnt really mind them at all...nor pay much attention to them when they are together.
I'd have no problem helping you create " a tort" paradise.... I enjoy it very much , just let me know ... . And yup poured here all day !!! Iam ready for spring!
JD ~
the torts
@ sally the U2

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Is your bird kept indoors or out? If it is kept outdoors did you build it a special enclosure also?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Candy said:
Is your bird kept indoors or out? If it is kept outdoors did you build it a special enclosure also?

Sally (the cockatoo) is kept indoors...She thinks she is a princess! Although I did build a walk- in Aviary and have bred some exotic finches ( courdon blues/ green tree singers , button quail) along with the norm zebras.I even hatched a peacock, a few golden pheasants and numerous indian runner ducks<~~~these are so cool!
avairysummer-08.jpg

But now its just Sally N the Torts these days!:D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
DoctorCosmonaut said:
You should contract out with the zoo ;)

Ya others say that all the time... among other things! Bummer life didnt open those doors for me .....
oh well~
I still enjoy the honesty and smile of others and a HUGE passion for animals!
PS: I saw your rocket tort' shirt " way cool" Sally thinks so too!

Sallynite.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
N2TORTS said:
One note on Sod. * Caution * when using sod....One must make sure it has a natural backing, not a plastic "mesh" type. Larger torts will chew down past the soil line to the plastic and could ingest it

Or the plastic mesh gets up above ground level for whatever reason and the tortoise could get a leg or his neck stuck through one of the loops and have an horrific accident. I've seen this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.