[split] my redfoot enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
How did you design that? Are you done with and ready to sell it? :D This spring my husband and my 10 year old are going to build an outside aviary for our cockatiels. I hate keeping them in the house in small cages where they can't fly around. Maybe you can post some tips about how to build one. ;) I just showed my husband and he would like to know what kind of screen you used?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Candy said:
How did you design that? Are you done with and ready to sell it? :D This spring my husband and my 10 year old are going to build an outside aviary for our cockatiels. I hate keeping them in the house in small cages where they can't fly around. Maybe you can post some tips about how to build one. ;) I just showed my husband and he would like to know what kind of screen you used?

Hi Candy Sure thing .... Well the aviary sets to the other side of the tortoise yards in the garden and was designed in my head. I sort of think " out side the realm" when I build things.
..The first thing to think about is what your budget is, do you want it permanent, how big, and protection from the elements also the ease of maintance.~
This structure approx 7' dia. x 8' ht is permanent with a concrete base Min 3"thick all set with a 2% slope ( or a 1/4 per foot) for drainage ( important for cleaning/washing out) . I built the structure using 3"treated poles ( although wouldn’t use with " chewing" "parrots" birds. ) for longevity and resistance to rot. The roof is Marine plywood ( sloped of course ) with decorative rafters. Mesh is a Galvanized wire that has a semi-plastic type powder coating with 1/4" squares.
*Pros of the wire= Excellent weathering, no rust the aviary is 2+ years old. and still no problems.
Available in green = way cool " looks more natural"
*Cons‘= Not cheap about $35 for 15 sf
- Limited to 3' wide .
This means alot of sewing with wire to close seams. depending on the size of your structure.
Good set of hinges and door set up , and hot tip put a lock on the inside as well ( flush bolt) . Many times the door has flung open while working in there.... so Lock yourself in.
Your hubby and son will have a great time building one and the enjoyment of watching our feathered friends flying around is beyond words.
If you guys need help in designs or ideas... drop me a email and I'd love to help ~
babiefinches08.jpg

JD

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank you so much for posting this for me. I just have one more question. Where do you get the wire from? Do they sell it at Home Depot or Lowe's? Is it safe against raccoons and rats? O.K. so I asked two questions sorry. I love that aviary!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Candy said:
Thank you so much for posting this for me. I just have one more question. Where do you get the wire from? Do they sell it at Home Depot or Lowe's? Is it safe against raccoons and rats? O.K. so I asked two questions sorry. I love that aviary!

Candy Hi ~
Yea ... the depot has it ... and probably Low's. Also it is fine for racoons ... its pretty good size wire, coon's and other varments shouldnt be able to chew thru it .
it comes in roll format I belive 3' x 15' or somthing like that!

***********YIPPIE ITS FRIDAY !!!!!!:D

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I guess we'll have to start calling you the West Coast Terryo...she lives on Long Island in New York, so has to deal with regular winter weather and Nor'easters, I imagine. So, as stunning as your yard is, I've got to say (having visited my brother-in-law's home in Garden Grove many times), that it's a bit easier to grow plants in southern California than almost anywhere else, so I'd have to award the TFO "national" prize to her! :cool:

I still envy you like crazy for that lovely yard and gardens...it's a lot of work to keep up with so many plants/flowers/grass/lanscape projects. I do a few here in Colorado in the summertime and spend hours every day just deadheading and weeding...I'm almost glad when the first freeze hits and I get the next 5 months off! :p

You're killing me with those photos right now though. I can hardly wait for April and May when I can groom and fertilize all my perennials and plant my annuals~sigh~ ;)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
O.K. after my husband heard that it's coated with plastic he asked if that would hurt the birds if they bit on it? Will it? I don't think that they would, but you never know with Cockatiels. :(

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
its not really a plastic, more like an epoxy coating. And I havnt had any problems with chewers" I thought of that while building it. Trust me "Sally" the U2... now she is a CHEWER!!!! Urgh ... its like a 5 year old on RedBULL...
Funny thing...is .. when she does get scolded for Being bad " chewing usally" ...I put her back in her cage ...she runs to the corner turns around and says " Iam sorry"... clear as a bell!.......( she actually knows what she is saying!)
~~~ I melt " instantly and how could you be mad at that? ...Oh well time order another TV remote, Car alarm, sneakers,just to name a few! ! LOL ....
But in the End ... All worth it ! :D
sallysink.jpg

Stephanie Logan said:
I guess we'll have to start calling you the West Coast Terryo...she lives on Long Island in New York, ......
Miss TACO*~*~*
Sounds good .... except one thing..."notice the long tail and wide scutes" .. I'am a boy :D
<grin>
JD~

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh my gosh that was so cute I have to show my boys. I would melt also and Sally wouldn't be in her cage very long. :D Thanks we're going to go look at the wire and in the spring we'll post pictures for you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.