[split]Hermann question

Status
Not open for further replies.

l4dyamethyst2011

5 Year Member
hi everyone, i haven't threaded or replied to anything recently but i have been keeping up with you folks, now im a little concerned, my baby hermanns, MUNSTER, I've had him about 3-4 weeks now when i ggot him hee weighed 120grmms and 11 cms long, he hasn't grown or put on any weigh, but he does seems to be getting bigger, maybe thats just an optical illusion..lol he has a very good appetite, he eyes are clear, as are is nose and mouth, he buzzes around his house like lewis hamilton, he responds to my voice, the kettle going on and the tv sounds. he has a varied diet, home grown pansies, flowers and leaves, different cabbage varieties, dandelion flowers and leaves.... he has his light and heat bulbs on timers so he has a routine i spray his house down in the evening im at a lose as to why he not putting on weigh or getting longer, i hope im just stressing over nothing, i was told he was 1 year old but his papers say date of issue 10.nov.2010 so does that mean he not yet a year old or he nearly 2 now.. a bit confusing... anyone got any thoughts id be most grateful, even if you tell me im doing everything wrong and to start from scratch...id appreciate the input.. live you guys xxxxx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kaz:

When tortoises are small enough, I like to make a tracing of the outer edge of their carapace on a piece of paper. Then every couple months, I'll make another tracing on the same paper, superimposed on the original tracing. Our eyes sometimes play tricks on us when things grow so slowly. I'll bet your guy is growing, you just don't see it.

Looks like he'll be a year old on November 10th.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Somewhat like Yvonne's suggestion, sometimes I will put my tortoises on graph/gridded paper and take a picture.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
A few weeks isn't very long bearing in mind tortoises are supposed to grow slowly.
I would personally weigh him weekly and when you see there are increases maybe once a month and then you will see progress over a longer period of time.

You may notice growth lines eventually also, another sign of growth.
You could check his weight and length on the Jackson's Ratio-a special chart to help tortoise owners check their Testudo species-you can only use it for Hermanns and Greek for it to be an accurate method.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/jackson.html

If all else fails to prove he is growing-it may be wise to get him checked, but if he is eating well, active etc, sounds like he is happy with the move etc.
Maybe see how it goes for a while.

Watermelon

5 Year Member
Sorry 120grams???? Isnt that a little heavy? Or not? Mine are 14 months old and are 33g and 38g.

You should aim for 2g increase in weight each month so he/she grows nice and steady.

Scratch that lol I asked someone from Shelled Warriors they say your tort should be 300g if it is 11cm xx

Status
Not open for further replies.