Split/extra scutes are more prone to HFS?

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bodfish
Ok so I’m really stupid, I stayed on a Facebook group??‍♀️??‍♀️
well was asking if anyone had adults with split scutes and someone chimed in and said that split or extra scutes are more prone to hatchling failure syndrome. Is this true? I’m planning on buying 2 leopard hatchlings with split scutes and 3 sulcata hatchlings with split scutes. I know that HFS is caused by the breeders and I have full faith in the two breeders that I chose (Full faith) to get my tortoises from but this still frightens me a bit as I have had so many issues with my last babies. Is this guy full of it? Or is there actually a correlation between split scute and some sort of hatchling failure syndrome that is genetic and not environmental?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I personally think that statement is wrong. But who knows, let's wait until others chime in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
FIrst, there is no HFS. The babies don't fail if kept correctly. This is 100% breeder error.

As far as chronic dehydration goes, I have seen no correlation of any kind between dehydrated split scute babies failing at a greater rate than dehydrated normal babies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a nice collection of tortoises with aberrant scutes, most of which I've had from hatch. . . leopards, manouria, Gopherus, yellowfoot . . . and have never lost any to hatchling failure syndrome.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Ok that’s what I thought but as you all can probably tell I’m a worry wort ??‍♀️? I Just Really Really want to succeed.