[split] Does PetsMart sell wild caught or captive bred tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
I can see the ad now:

"Come on down and see our tortoises! Take our tortoise-keeping quiz, and if you score at least an 80%, you get a bag of substrate free!"

Or something like that. :)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
GeoTerraTestudo said:
I can see the ad now:

"Come on down and see our tortoises! Take our tortoise-keeping quiz, and if you score at least an 80%, you get a bag of substrate free!"

Or something like that. :)

But what tortoise would want to live with an 80%er? If I were a tortoise, I'd be holding out for a 100%er with extra credit:)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Edna said:
But what tortoise would want to live with an 80%er? If I were a tortoise, I'd be holding out for a 100%er with extra credit:)

LOL ... Ideally, yes. But I just remind myself that we let people drive a car with only an 80% score, and that's a one-ton machine with the power to kill people. ;)

Seriously, though, not everyone is going to have as much knowledge as people who frequent this forum. For the average tortoise-keeper, I'd settle for someone who knows the role of substrate and humidity, the importance of varied greens, and the value of sunshine.

All we can hope for is keepers who know the basics.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Edna said:

I don't know... aren't we all kinda 80%ers? I mean, I know a LOT about redfoots, but every month or so I learn something new.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
yeah, the type of questions I posted earlier? If people can answer those basic questions and the like, I would be happy.

For example: A lot of people STILL think that all these critters will only grow to the size of the tank. They STILL think they never have to do water changes on their aquariums. They STILL think baby turtles (even box turtles!) will live fine in a kidney-shaped plastic lagoon with a palm tree. And so on...

I'm not asking them to memorize the Tortoise Library or read every thread started by Tom, etc....if they can get this basic crap right, I think we'd be making some HUGE progress.

Deac77

5 Year Member
I agree that the quiz would be nice and I'll check (on vacation at the moment) when i get back to see exactly what the policy is if I remember right even employees have the right to deny the sell as long as a manger is informed WHY I know I cant write up any of my employees for that nor would I ever and my store still has the lowest animal loss and the highest sells in my district I do worry what will happen when I finish college though...I'd hate to see this town go down hill on our herp standards ;D

Happy Tortoise

5 Year Member
I doubt it is CB because my Russian Tortiose was from a Petsmart and he was loaded with a lot of parasites. We got them treated and now he's happy and active. Although it might not be the reason he is loaded with parasites-(it might been the store itself, the bedding, any tort products used by the store) there is a good possibility that they are wild caught.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Happy Tortoise said:
I doubt it is CB because my Russian Tortiose was from a Petsmart and he was loaded with a lot of parasites. We got them treated and now he's happy and active. Although it might not be the reason he is loaded with parasites-(it might been the store itself, the bedding, any tort products used by the store) there is a good possibility that they are wild caught.

Occam's Razor -He was probably wildcaught.

Congrats on getting him dewormed. I'm sure he's definitely happier now! :D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
StudentoftheReptile said:
I just thought of a GREAT idea!

You know how we all go around in circles about how most people suck and take horrible care of their pets, and how there should a test for people to own pets, blah blah blah, etc. Of course, this is not feasible, but I just thought of an alternative.

Kind of an incentive for consumers and "noobs" to learn more about pets. Have a Quiz in pet stores or something, and if the customer gets every question correct, they get a discount, or giftcard or something. Questions like:

1.) Fish, reptiles, and amphibians will only grow to the size of their tank: true or false?
2.) If I put my reptile tank by the window, I don't have to buy any lights for it: true or false?
3.) As long as I replace the cartridge in my filter, I don't have to do water changes on my aquarium: true or false?
4.) A fish's stomach is approximately the size of its eyeball: true or false?

...stuff like that. The questions they get wrong, will give the store staff an opportunity to educate them. And there may be a small consolation prize involved...who knows? Because really, the whole point is to dispel all these silly misconceptions about basic small pet husbandry. Obviously, a lot of details to be worked out, but I think the idea has merit.

A :cool: idea, at that!

Status
Not open for further replies.