Spider tortoise setup!

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
Anyway want to share their spider tortoise setup? Any suggestion on substrate and food?

Thank you!

michiganice91

5 Year Member
I use repti bark as a base because it's clean and relatively harmless. I have about half the enclosure covered in NZL Sphagnum moss. These guys love moisture and the sphagnum moss helps keep it very wet for them (good for increased activity) and also gives them plenty of space to hide. I have 2 adults and their entire enclosure is a home depot plastic concrete mixing bin. It's plenty of space for them. I can post pics if you'd like.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I use repti bark as a base because it's clean and relatively harmless. I have about half the enclosure covered in NZL Sphagnum moss. These guys love moisture and the sphagnum moss helps keep it very wet for them (good for increased activity) and also gives them plenty of space to hide. I have 2 adults and their entire enclosure is a home depot plastic concrete mixing bin. It's plenty of space for them. I can post pics if you'd like.

POST them pics, please.

michiganice91

5 Year Member
20150512_165633.jpg

Here's a birds eye of my setup. Also, Zeno, do you currently own that spider tortoise? If so, which subspecies is it?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
View attachment 129715

Here's a birds eye of my setup. Also, Zeno, do you currently own that spider tortoise? If so, which subspecies is it?
Thanks for the image. You have captured good design elements in your enclosure, multiple substrates, multiple hides. I think they like choice.

michiganice91

5 Year Member
Thanks for the image. You have captured good design elements in your enclosure, multiple substrates, multiple hides. I think they like choice.

They LOVE to bury themselves in the moist sphagnum moss.