Spider plant and pothos

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
How in the world do you keep these alive?? Lol

Ive seen a bunch of pics on here where you guys have these really pretty, happy plants for your tortoises and all mine wants to do it slowly wither... keep in mind, I am horrible with plants so it could easily just be me messing up, but I'm trying to get better lol which is why I'm asking all you super knowledgeable people! Please help!
Any tips on these plants for my enclosure would be great. My tortoise loves his spider plant to hide around so I dont want it to die on him. I know I can replace it, but maybe I can also just make it happy lol

Thanks everyone!

Relic

Here
This is a head-scratcher because if the habitat is set-up correctly, you basically have a near perfect terrarium. A bright light source and high humidity are great for both of those plants. I keep mine in their plastic containers and bury the container down into the substrate - level. Then just keep the soil moist - not soggy but moist - and all should go well. The only problem is they will not do well if placed under the heat source. My CHE will scorch any greenery that gets under it. Well, another problem is that my tortoise will eat the pothos down to the nubs...

I'm trying something new this year in my outdoor pen: I have a hanging basket of spider plant hanging about 6 inches off the ground, hoping that as the runners grow off the plant and dangle down to ground level, it will provide another food source. We'll see.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Are you talking about an INDOOR enclosure or an OUTDOOR enclosure?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hmm, Pothos is literally the easiest plant to grow on the face of the planet, with almost no effort. You must be doing something terribly wrong. Are you putting them directly under your heat source?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hmm, Pothos is literally the easiest plant to grow on the face of the planet, with almost no effort. You must be doing something terribly wrong. Are you putting them directly under your heat source?

I must admit that I almost killed ours two years ago. I was watering sith what i thought was nice cool tap water, turned out to be SCALDING HOT!, yikes.... much of the plant died back....but a few trims & normal watering brought it back.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
It's my indoor enclosure. It's not right under the che, but it's not too far from it either...

In the left corner of the pic is my che dome. That's only half the enclosure! Lol the che is right in the middle. My substrate is damp, not soapy and my temps are 88-90 right now ( getting rid of a RI from his old enclosure. No bubbles in a week and a half!)

Attachments

• 20200413_133319.jpg
    20200413_133319.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 76

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
It's my indoor enclosure. It's not right under the che, but it's not too far from it either...

In the left corner of the pic is my che dome. That's only half the enclosure! Lol the che is right in the middle. My substrate is damp, not soapy and my temps are 88-90 right now ( getting rid of a RI from his old enclosure. No bubbles in a week and a half!)
Soppy* lol

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I dont have a pothos just yet, was planning on getting one maybe today, but I've heard spider plants were easy to, but I kill bamboo so....

Here's another pic. Sorry about the condensation lol

Attachments

• 20200423_104841.jpg
    20200423_104841.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I dont have a pothos just yet, was planning on getting one maybe today, but I've heard spider plants were easy to, but I kill bamboo so....

You should have no problem growing Pothos in there.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

I see pothos in there...your plants are too close to any heat source...it looks like they are in pots...but I would move the pot up some...just a couple of inches.....

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
OK great! So maybe the spider plant is just too close to the che? It's not right under it but it's not too terribly far away either. I also had a trim it up pretty decently this morning because there were a lot of dead leaves and the tips on some of them were turning Brown...
And those are fake pothos ? just to give him some cover lol

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I see pothos in there...your plants are too close to any heat source...it looks like they are in pots...but I would move the pot up some...just a couple of inches.....
Move them higher? Or move them away? Sorry just making sure ?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Spider plant needs the roots to dry out a bit. It is easy to have the roots too wet in our enclosures for a spider plant. The one you have is showing burns from the CHE. It must be away from direct IR radiation. You will also find direct UV radiation can burn a plant easily, so best to have them not directly under your UV bulb. The pothos is much more forgiving and not as necessary of drying out the roots. In fact, I grow some with the roots submerged in the aquarium for the aquatic turtles!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Spider plant needs the roots to dry out a bit. It is easy to have the roots too wet in our enclosures for a spider plant. The one you have is showing burns from the CHE. It must be away from direct IR radiation. You will also find direct UV radiation can burn a plant easily, so best to have them not directly under your UV bulb. The pothos is much more forgiving and not as necessary of drying out the roots. In fact, I grow some with the roots submerged in the aquarium for the aquatic turtles!
Ok thank you! I'm assuming away from the flood light area too?
And your probably right... I like to drown my plants unintentionally...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
OK great! So maybe the spider plant is just too close to the che? It's not right under it but it's not too terribly far away either. I also had a trim it up pretty decently this morning because there were a lot of dead leaves and the tips on some of them were turning Brown...
And those are fake pothos ? just to give him some cover lol
I've been told that when the tips of the spider plant leaves turn brown, it is either not getting enough water or the air is not humid enough. But that doesn't seem to be an issue in your case.
Plants need their own lights that fit their needs. Pothos is a low light plant and spider plant seems flexible in that regard. Not sure what else to suggest...

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I've been told that when the tips of the spider plant leaves turn brown, it is either not getting enough water or the air is not humid enough. But that doesn't seem to be an issue in your case.
Plants need their own lights that fit their needs. Pothos is a low light plant and spider plant seems flexible in that regard. Not sure what else to suggest...
I guess I'll move it and hope my plant murdering days are over... i only have one plant that i can keep alive and that's because it likes to be forgotten lol. I've had it for 5 years and we get along great haha.

Well, cross your fingers every one! Lol I'll need all the good thoughts as I can get to keep it alive. I know everyone says they are easy to keep, but I think they are vastly underestimating my skill to mess up with plants lol

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Oh, my! It's obvious that you are clueless to the agony that we of the black thumb club go through, indoors and outdoors.

I have spent a medium fortune the last 3 years trying to grow stuff for Chug. Did you know that dandelions require a degree in weed husbandry? Grapevines defy all attempts....I think I have had 8 of them fail, not only to thrive, but even survive. My yellow bells bloomed beautifully last spring. In July it collapsed in 24 hours.

I like to blame my failures on the weather here. We have strings of days that are 120-123 deg. The wind howls, carrying a beach worth of sand. The only water any plant gets is what comes from a hose...in summer it never rains here. But then I see other houses with gorgeous flowers, shrubs, and trees, and I have to face it...I kill my plants. My husband told me more than once that any unfortunate green thing that falls into my hands is doomed to death. So I showed him a cute green caterpillar I found. Pete couldn't see well with his cataracts and exclaimed "For God's sake, just throw it out back. If you plant it it's dead!" RIP my dear Pete.

So please, take pity on us. Saying a plant is "easy to grow and takes almost no effort" is like me saying you must walk up Stone Mountain backwards, with bare feet, balancing a basketball on your head! ?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Oh, my! It's obvious that you are clueless to the agony that we of the black thumb club go through, indoors and outdoors.

I have spent a medium fortune the last 3 years trying to grow stuff for Chug. Did you know that dandelions require a degree in weed husbandry? Grapevines defy all attempts....I think I have had 8 of them fail, not only to thrive, but even survive. My yellow bells bloomed beautifully last spring. In July it collapsed in 24 hours.

I like to blame my failures on the weather here. We have strings of days that are 120-123 deg. The wind howls, carrying a beach worth of sand. The only water any plant gets is what comes from a hose...in summer it never rains here. But then I see other houses with gorgeous flowers, shrubs, and trees, and I have to face it...I kill my plants. My husband told me more than once that any unfortunate green thing that falls into my hands is doomed to death. So I showed him a cute green caterpillar I found. Pete couldn't see well with his cataracts and exclaimed "For God's sake, just throw it out back. If you plant it it's dead!" RIP my dear Pete.

So please, take pity on us. Saying a plant is "easy to grow and takes almost no effort" is like me saying you must walk up Stone Mountain backwards, with bare feet, balancing a basketball on your head! ?
Omg YES!!!!! My grandparents (who have BEAUTIFUL gardens) have pretty much said the same thing as your husband to me ?
I would LOVE some of those pretty kitchens with plants all over and to walk out side and water all my pretty brightly colored gardens, but I can only keep crab grass alive outside lol. Sad times...