Sphagnum Peat Moss

Quince Wood

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I accidentaly bought spaghnum peat moss instead of just spaghnum moss for my baby sulcata and i was wondering if this was ok for him of do i have to buy something else?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Peat moss is sphagnum moss decomposed. I use it as the the substrate mixed 50/50 with organic, none fertilized top soil. It holds moisture well, is acidic so no mold issues, and relatively inexpensive for the volume you get at most feed stores. If what you wanted was a fluffy moss for your humid hide, this won't work. I do use it in my humid hides and they just burrow into it. Does this help?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Sometimes I use just sphagnum peat moss by itself as substrate. It's just fine to use.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This subject comes up frequently and everyone seems to have their own way of looking at it. I've tried everything over the years and fine grade orchid bark works the best.

-Sphagnum moss is too messy.
-Long fibered sphagnum moss is an impaction risk and all of mine of all species try to eat it.
-Bought-in-a-bag soil should never be used as substrate for a tortoise, too many additives, and my main complaint is that you can't know what composted material it is made of. Is it chemically treated grass clippings? Oleander and azalea trimmings? Maybe it was something safe? No way to know. I once got a batch for one of my above ground planters, and there was there were obvious jacaranda leaves in it that had not fully composted yet. Jacaranda is toxic. It could have been a disaster if I'd put that into a tortoise enclosure with a baby.
-Sand should never be used even as part of a mix. Its a huge impaction risk and a possible skin and eye irritant.

This is what I've discovered over many years of trying all sorts of different substrates.