Speke's Hingeback babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weldd

10 Year Member!
At long last, I have 2 Speke's hatchlings here. It has taken forever for the eggs to hatch but if my experience with Pyxis tortoises has taught me anything it's patience!

Anyway, they are big chunky babies, one weighed in at 22 gms! I'm trying to upload pics. Hopefully I'll figure it out soon.

Hingebacks rule!!!

Attachments

• Spek3sm.jpg
    Spek3sm.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 124

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
That is incredible-Congratulations .
Absolutely adorable baby-well done!!!!![/u]

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
How are you keeping the adults?

Weldd

10 Year Member!
EJ- I'm keeping them indoors in a tortoise table setup.

a fairly big tortoise table 4' x 6'

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Very cool. Can't wait to see more pics of those babies!

If you're having success with them a lot of other Speke's, Bell's and other Hingeback owners would surely be interested in learning from your methods. There are quite a number of Hingebacks in captivity but very, very few captive born babies.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Yes any tips appreciated for sure.
Although my main glitch is not having a female-easy to recognise that but proving to be near impossible to remedy. Wish I was in the US as I would have a much better chance of finding a girl for my 2 Bells Boys (-now named Jingle and Spud!)

Looking forward to more pictures too
Thanks for sharing your success.
Louise

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Wow. I have a lonely Bell's female and I cannot find a male. :(

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Weldd said:

You don't happen to be in Canada do you?
I'm sure you are not but I have to ask-just in case:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wow! REally nice having you here. I haven't even gotten Speki eggs yet, of course it would help if my pair were mature. :rolleyes: :D I do have a Speki baby from last year and he/she is quite a character. So how many do you have? I see a female Bells, any other hingebacks? How long have you had them?

Weldd said:
EJ- I'm keeping them indoors in a tortoise table setup.

a fairly big tortoise table 4' x 6'

I am thinking Ed might be wanting more detailed information like what is the substrate, temps, humidity, lighting?

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Jacqui, I only have the Speks and single Bell's female right now. I used to have a much larger collection and had erosa and homeana as well. Unfortunately, we were planning a move and I gave up most of my collection, including the hingebacks. Especially painful because I was beginning to get eggs from the erosa and the homeana were really well established and a few were large enough to begin laying as well.

I have some erosa coming which is really exciting. I know that homeana are around as well. If I were able to pick through some to put together a nice group, I would do that.

I love small/mid-sized tortoises so the hingebacks are real favorites of mine. It's breaking my heart to have only one Bell's. I will keep trying to find her a mate though.

Take care. Will...

Tortoise said:
Weldd said:

I'm sure you are not but I have to ask-just in case:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::

Sorry, I'm here in the us of a.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Weldd said:
Jacqui, I only have the Speks and single Bell's female right now. I used to have a much larger collection and had erosa and homeana as well. Unfortunately, we were planning a move and I gave up most of my collection, including the hingebacks. Especially painful because I was beginning to get eggs from the erosa and the homeana were really well established and a few were large enough to begin laying as well.

I have some erosa coming which is really exciting. I know that homeana are around as well. If I were able to pick through some to put together a nice group, I would do that.

I love small/mid-sized tortoises so the hingebacks are real favorites of mine. It's breaking my heart to have only one Bell's. I will keep trying to find her a mate though.

Take care. Will...

Tortoise said:
Weldd said:

Maybe I need to emigrate again!!!!!!:D:D

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Tortoise said:
Weldd said:

Take care. Will...

Tortoise said:
Weldd said:

Maybe I need to emigrate again!!!!!!:D:D

Hmm. Maybe I should re-visit the option of importing. ;)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How are the babies doing? Any new pictures for me to drool over? :D What are they eating and how are you keeping them?

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Jacqui, they are doing great. Little war machines. I have just moved the first 2 to hatch onto cypress. A 1/2 humid - 1/2 "drier" setup in a rubbermaid. The third baby is sitting in a deli cup right now absorbing the last of his yolk. I haven't begun to feed him yet. For the other 2, they're pounding chopped lettuce, fruit/veggie slurry and Mazuri.

I will weigh them and post some new pictures this weekend...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Weldd said:
Jacqui, they are doing great. Little war machines. I have just moved the first 2 to hatch onto cypress. A 1/2 humid - 1/2 "drier" setup in a rubbermaid. The third baby is sitting in a deli cup right now absorbing the last of his yolk. I haven't begun to feed him yet. For the other 2, they're pounding chopped lettuce, fruit/veggie slurry and Mazuri.

I will weigh them and post some new pictures this weekend...

That will be great! Nice knowing who else has a little Speki to try to compare notes with. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.