Speke’s Hingeback Tortoise

tortoiseplanet

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I’m highly suggesting to get a Speke’s Hingeback Tortoise after Christmas when shipping is safer. Is anyone an expertise with their care? Any general care for that specie is appreciated. Has anyone written a care guide? I want to start breeding uncommon tortoises like itself so any breeding/incubation/baby care would be great.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I’m highly suggesting to get a Speke’s Hingeback Tortoise after Christmas when shipping is safer. Is anyone an expertise with their care? Any general care for that specie is appreciated. Has anyone written a care guide? I want to start breeding uncommon tortoises like itself so any breeding/incubation/baby care would be great.

Several here are fairly expert. My suggestion is to get a reliable incubator to be prepared. I have a similar interest in breeding the rarer hingebacks as well.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
Several here are fairly expert. My suggestion is to get a reliable incubator to be prepared. I have a similar interest in breeding the rarer hingebacks as well.

Have you successfully incubated any yet? Do you know their humidity requirements, etc for incubation? Thanks.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Have you successfully incubated any yet? Do you know their humidity requirements, etc for incubation? Thanks.

No never have. I do not have an incubator YET. Will and Juli11 know quite a bit more than I do so far. Try sending them a PM and sure they'll help;).

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
No, not yet. I don't have an incubator YET. Try sending a PM to Will or Juli11 and sure they'll help. There's also several threads and posts about Spekes and other Hingebacks on this forum. Merry Christmas to you.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
No, not yet. I don't have an incubator YET. Try sending a PM to Will or Juli11 and sure they'll help. There's also several threads and posts about Spekes and other Hingebacks on this forum. Merry Christmas to you.

Thanks will do
Merry Christmas!

M

Musa Nathan

I have 11 at my place...I would never recommend keeping them indoors for this species...there are totally forest animals. So they must be kept outside in captivity...especially if you want successful breeding. I keep mine outdoors....are try to keep them independent although I feed them once a week...

They spend most of their time hiding & are omnivorous & insectivorous...I don’t agree with feeding them protein that is not live...

tortoiseplanet

Earth
I have 11 at my place...I would never recommend keeping them indoors for this species...there are totally forest animals. So they must be kept outside in captivity...especially if you want successful breeding. I keep mine outdoors....are try to keep them independent although I feed them once a week...

They spend most of their time hiding & are omnivorous & insectivorous...I don’t agree with feeding them protein that is not live...

Thanks for your feedback!

David Salas

Its best to do your own research on the internet. Best resource! Don't rely on no-blows advice