Speckled King Snake

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not a big fan of snakes. They give me the heebie jeebies. I don't know if it's because of my catholic school upbringing (the devil was always depicted as a serpent) or what, but I just don't like them. I don't see any redeeming qualities.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I'm not a big fan of snakes. They give me the heebie jeebies. I don't know if it's because of my catholic school upbringing (the devil was always depicted as a serpent) or what, but I just don't like them. I don't see any redeeming qualities.

Redeeming? Well, they eat a lot of rodent and insect pests and this species even eats poisonous snakes.
Plus they are cute and personable, of course. Turtles without shells or feet.
This one knew i was there, started to leave, then apparently decided i was OK and turned back.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been caring for snakes for decades, but there is still something so special about seeing one running loose in the wild. I always wonder what adventures and close calls they've had that brought to the spot where I've found them. Then I watch them leave and wonder where they will go.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area

Yvonne you so speak my truth! Same here! Catholic religious ed, the „serpent”... but you know I’m beginning to conquer my fear of snakes! And I have to say it was here on TFO that things started „unlocking” in my head. The deciding point was @Loohan ‚s „big black snake” thread here. I just loved reading it, and looking at his pics. I’ve watched many different snake videos since then and nust say that now I no longer get the heebie jeebies at the sight of the „slithery kind”. I’m still not to crazy about spiders... walking into a spider web in my garden still freak me out, but maybe not as much as it used to. Maybe those phobias just get better with my ripening age? Or conscious efforts on exoosing myself to those sights, that over time makes them not quite as scary??? @Loohan keep on posting your snakes, I love your snake threads! That speckled little dude is very pretty

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
According to https://www.wunc.org/post/why-you-should-let-copperhead-live-your-yard-debunking-snake-myths
What snakes do that is good for humans:
It does happen that snakes do certain things for humans. They eat a lot of species that we don't like, like mice and rats, that can cause diseases and problems. And [by] eating a lot of rodents, snakes are swallowing a lot of ticks. And ticks cause things like Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Lyme disease. One study showed that snakes are significant tick destroyers in Eastern forest sites./quote]