Specifics for marginated outdoor enclosure?

timmk21

So I've been doing a lot of research on how to build outdoor enclosure but haven't found a lot of specifics for marginated tortoises. I have a 4'x18' area in my backyard I am going to use, I live in a town home in San Diego so that's about all I can give him. He is only about 3" now. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, planning on starting in about 2 weeks. Thanks!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Make shir it's bird proof birds love baby torts !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

timmk21

I was planning on doing chicken wire on top, we have some huge owls in our neighborhood. Plus he would only be outside during the day.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Yeah, a chicken wire frame is best. Some members go to more extreme measures, using reinforced welded fencing. If you go this latter route, you can even put locks on the paddock to deter thefts. I live in a gated community, and my backyard has motion detectors that alert an app on my computer and phone anytime there is significant motion in the yard. My business is five minutes from my house, and I maintain a conceal/carry license, so anyone stupid enough to trespass on my property will be subject to a citizen's arrest, which thankfully has only happened once (a neighborhood kid jumped the fence and grabbed one of the babies; he was shocked when I pulled up in front of him on his way over the fence; his granddad was furious and thanked me for not pressing charges). All of my baby enclosures measure 4 x 8 (I usually keep babies either one or two per enclosure; I have a lot of baby enclosures for when my breeding colony really takes off), and I cover these with chicken wire screwed to a 4x4 wooden frame. The frame is made from pieces of wood treated with a water proof paint. These pieces are reinforced at the corners with wooden flooring cut to size with a skill saw, which is also painted. I seal any screw holes with wood glue. It isn't the prettiest thing in the world, but the chicken wire is taught and keeps the critters out. I also put out cat food for my mouser Stinky (she's a cat), and this attracts raccoons, opossums, and other cats, which I feed on the opposite side of the property from the tortoises. I feel the cost of cat food is basically like paying taxes. I don't want the local critters to eat my tortoises, so I offer them something more enticing. I also put out live traps and release the wild critters on a friend's property in the country, but I live in Texas, where this is legal. I'm not so sure it would be so in San Diego.

T.G.