Specific experience with full term in egg deaths, anyone?

Acutus

5 Year Member
Hi guys/gals,

does anyone have specific experience with pancake babies dying in egg at full term or even pipping the egg and then dying? I have been going through the pancake forum threads and found little info. Everyone I talk to has no issues in hatching these guys except me??? I have tried dry incubation, slightly moist incubation. bury eggs in vermiculite or perlite, leave them on the surface, incubate in incubator with day/night flucuations, left some eggs in shoe boxes on a shelf in the warm tortoise room... Conclusion, the eggs develop fine and only die at full term or they pip, stick their head out and die. I have never encountered this with other species nor has anyone else I have talked to from zoos, Turtle Survival Alliance folks and collectors who breed many species.

If anyone has specific info on what has worked for them or why this situation may occur, please let me know. Even if you had this or similar experience with another species. I ask respectfully, that you don't send me theories, as there are many of them and I think I have explored preventing the issue I have seen discussed as for example too much moisture, hypoxia, high temps. Since the embryos are developing perfectly without deformities and none die early on or during the months of incubation, this is very strange. One of the incubators has a fan that bring in air from the outside and I ventilate daily thus hypoxia is not possible. I know hypoxia is an issue with some reptile species and birds as well but should not apply here...???

Thanks to all of you who posted your incubation methods and other info. Regards.