Species?

SawyerVonHays

Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Ok.... So I'm really ashamed of how all this went down. My 9-year-old niece asked to get a pet turtle. Cool. I told her that her and her parents needed to research what kind she wanted. They said they did and they said they wanted a tortoise. I was very unsure because a tortoise is a big commitment and not even an actual turtle, however her parents convinced me that they would be able to do further research when they knew the type of tortoise they would be getting and help her take care of it. So her ninth birthday came and I went and got her a tortoise. I went to the local pet stores, PetSmart and Petco, now I wish I hadn't, at the time I didn't know better though. I spoke to them before committing and asked if there are ways to get young ones, baby ones, things like that and they said that you couldn't do that here in Alabama based on state law; I thought that was unusual but trusted what they said. They had very limited selection of what was available at either store, honestly it came down to only one actually being available, they said it was a Testudo. I'm embarrassed to say that I thought that was the actual species name and all that I would need to know to find out more about this tortoise. I asked a bunch of questions and brought it home. A month later he wasn't doing so well. I started my independent research since my niece and her parents obviously never did. I found out everything I thought I knew was wrong. Most of the info came from here. But as I am going further and further it has become obvious that a specific species is need to know info when finding out what to do. And Testudo..... Is not very specific, ?. Can anyone tell me how to figure out what this tortoise is so that I can make sure he gets taken care of?

IMG_20201202_144941.jpgIMG_20201204_132457.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And here is the care info:

SawyerVonHays

Alabama
And here is the care info:
Thank you. This really helps. I have kinda floundered around on different sites and videos trying to learn this stuff and it is confusing trying to tell what is good info versus bad.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Thank you. This really helps. I have kinda floundered around on different sites and videos trying to learn this stuff and it is confusing trying to tell what is good info versus bad.
you have come to the right (and only, imo) site for all things tortoise. We don't agree on everything but the info found here will help you raise healthy tortoises

SawyerVonHays

Alabama
you have come to the right (and only, imo) site for all things tortoise. We don't agree on everything but the info found here will help you raise healthy tortoises

From what I have seen so far. I absolutely agree.

Moonshine

Paso Robles, CA
Definitely a Russian young adult. Little booger is going to need a lot of space to be happy. I’m in the process of designing/building a 4 foot x 8 foot enclosure for mine.

SawyerVonHays

Alabama
Definitely a Russian young adult. Little booger is going to need a lot of space to be happy. I’m in the process of designing/building a 4 foot x 8 foot enclosure for mine.

Thanks! Lol I am finding this out lol lil guy is quite the explorer.

Moonshine

Paso Robles, CA
Thanks! Lol I am finding this out lol lil guy is quite the explorer.
My guy definitely loves his yard enclosure during the summer and loves to climb. He’s inside now for the winter and throwing us a nasty side eye whenever he gets the opportunity to express his disdain. They maybe small in size but their attitudes sure are big!

SawyerVonHays

Alabama
My guy definitely loves his yard enclosure during the summer and loves to climb. He’s inside now for the winter and throwing us a nasty side eye whenever he gets the opportunity to express his disdain. They maybe small in size but their attitudes sure are big!
I am having to keep mine in due to the cold to. Lol I thought mine was the only one who could sling that much sass in a single look.??

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA
Ok.... So I'm really ashamed of how all this went down. My 9-year-old niece asked to get a pet turtle. Cool. I told her that her and her parents needed to research what kind she wanted. They said they did and they said they wanted a tortoise. I was very unsure because a tortoise is a big commitment and not even an actual turtle, however her parents convinced me that they would be able to do further research when they knew the type of tortoise they would be getting and help her take care of it. So her ninth birthday came and I went and got her a tortoise. I went to the local pet stores, PetSmart and Petco, now I wish I hadn't, at the time I didn't know better though. I spoke to them before committing and asked if there are ways to get young ones, baby ones, things like that and they said that you couldn't do that here in Alabama based on state law; I thought that was unusual but trusted what they said. They had very limited selection of what was available at either store, honestly it came down to only one actually being available, they said it was a Testudo. I'm embarrassed to say that I thought that was the actual species name and all that I would need to know to find out more about this tortoise. I asked a bunch of questions and brought it home. A month later he wasn't doing so well. I started my independent research since my niece and her parents obviously never did. I found out everything I thought I knew was wrong. Most of the info came from here. But as I am going further and further it has become obvious that a specific species is need to know info when finding out what to do. And Testudo..... Is not very specific, ?. Can anyone tell me how to figure out what this tortoise is so that I can make sure he gets taken care of?

View attachment 312354View attachment 312355
Russian

maureen allenza

5 Year Member

View attachment 312354View attachment 312355

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
Bless you for saving this little Russian. So sweet! My little guy just passed, and I did nine months of research before I got him. I have no idea what happened. Thank God, thanks to you this little one will do fine.

SawyerVonHays

Alabama
Bless you for saving this little Russian. So sweet! My little guy just passed, and I did nine months of research before I got him. I have no idea what happened. Thank God, thanks to you this little one will do fine.

I am so sorry to hear that, I know that must have been terrible for you! I will certainly try my best to do right by him. Ever since I have started learning from the people here he has made vast improvement. He had been so lethargic from the beginning that I didn't know that it was unusual until he had become so listless that he just didn't do anything but stay in his little hidey hole. Now that his habitat and diet have improved he is down right hyper at times. It has been super exciting and relieving to see him make such a turn around.