Species Identification

agirlwithink

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
Good morning! So my husband took out the trash and found this poor thing in a tank out in the rain. Brought it inside but we have no idea what it is. These are the best pictures I can get right now because I’m not home.

Any ideas if this is a turtle or tortoise? 4488335C-60F6-43F1-8B9C-A445A529480F.jpeg125B7C36-7BA7-4A2B-B440-2E1A602CCCED.jpeg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi and welcome...it looks like a 3 toed box turtle...semi aquatic...like water and to sit in water moist substrate ...there's more info in the turtle section...but...I am not right a lot...so hang tight and someone better than I will help you out...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm pretty sure it's a 3 toed...just for grins look and count how many claws on his back feet. They look short in the picture and actually not all 3-toed box turtles have have 3 toes on the back...but most do. He looks pretty rough. I'd soak him warm water for 20 minutes or so. Do you plan on keeping him? You could offer him some night crawlers or fruit, you need to decide if you are gonna keep him or not.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Three Toed box turtle. They aren't considered tortoises but they do live on land. They like water though and prefer humid, swampy conditions.

agirlwithink

Nevada
Finally got to see her, definitely three toed! I’m pretty sure we will be keeping her. Trying to get her set up suitably and I will definitely soak. She looked pretty dry to me.