Species identification please!!

Gattu N'Coco

Location (City and/or State)
india
Can anybody tell how to identify star tortoise species. So far I've come across 3 species and Im still confused which ones are mine. I'm pretty sure though one is indian. I'm just concerned about their mating will they ever mate. My tort climbs over the lady but he's mostly unsuccessful and when he is ready the female isn't..that smart lady will tuck her tail in her shell. I want to know whether they're not mating because they are different breeds. I've not heard much about them cross breeding.. care to shed any light on it? These are mine if you can please tell me if anything is possible between them and which ones are which?1513929984414.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Gattu N'Coco You definitely have two Indian Star tortoises there. There are really only two recognized species of "Star" tortoises. The Indian star and the Burmese star. Yours are definitely Indian stars. There is also a variety of Indian star that is know separately as the Sri Lankan Star. About the only way to tell them apart is the KNOW where there tortoise originally came from. Sri Lankan Stars normally do get bigger and come from Sri Lanka. However there does seem to be a variety of Indian star from the northwest part of India by Pakistan that does reach a larger size as well. But there has been no species or subspecies status given to any of these three varieties - all are Geochelone elegans

Gattu N'Coco

india
@Gattu N'Coco You definitely have two Indian Star tortoises there. There are really only two recognized species of "Star" tortoises. The Indian star and the Burmese star. Yours are definitely Indian stars. There is also a variety of Indian star that is know separately as the Sri Lankan Star. About the only way to tell them apart is the KNOW where there tortoise originally came from. Sri Lankan Stars normally do get bigger and come from Sri Lanka. However there does seem to be a variety of Indian star from the northwest part of India by Pakistan that does reach a larger size as well. But there has been no species or subspecies status given to any of these three varieties - all are Geochelone elegans
Thank you so much for clarifying.