Species ID?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Two of my friends pulled off a happy turtle rescue, and they'd like to know the species. The turtle has ALREADY BEEN RELEASED, so I have limited photos. Friend #1 was driving her 92-year old stepmother to a Medical appointment when she spotted a good sized aquatic turtle in a busy road: it's were 2 highways cross at a bridge cloverleaf, so it's REALLY dangerous for turtles (or any pedestrians, for that matter-). It is also very near a pond, a bayou and a lake in south Louisiana, very near New Orleans. Friend #1 couldn't stop due to the medical appointment, but she phoned Friend #2, who hopped in her car and zipped off to the intersection. She spotted the turtle- still intact, but with cars whizzing past, put on her emergency blinkers, leaped out, scooped up the turtle and put him in her car. She took him to the nearby bayou and released him, but took a few photos first.
They and I are all THRILLED with the rescue, and we'd like to know the species and gender of the turtle.
Thanks!
Oh, yes: the back half of the shell just looks weird because it's covered in algae. The turtle is fine.

F8819D2E-C698-4985-9992-C11AAE16A2EE_4_5005_c.jpeg

Dang it- the program will only let me add this one...I'll try a few more...

Last edited:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Sorry for so many separate photos...I don't know how else to post them...?‍♀️

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
It looks like a Cooter or a Slider. I would say from the location where it was found, it could be what we used to call a Mobile Cooter.
I was thinking that too. But I don't know how to tell a cooter from a slider, or any of the slider subtypes. ?‍♀️

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
And this is the lovely little bayou where she released him! It's not far from where he was rescued, and it backs onto a quiet suburban neighborhood. Louisiana is such a GREAT place for turtles!!! :<3:

IMG_9519.png

zovick

10 Year Member!
I was thinking that too. But I don't know how to tell a cooter from a slider, or any of the slider subtypes. ?‍♀️
The Cooters and Sliders are in the same genus, Pseudemys. The species and subspecies in both genera are very similar. The one called the Mobile Cooter is found right there where that one was found. I am going by range maps from Roger Conant's 1958 Field Guide. Its Latin name would be Pseudemys concinna mobilensis. Maybe you can look up more photos to narrow it down further, but I'd be happy thinking it was a Mobile Cooter.

Also it looked like a male from the nails and tail size.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
The Cooters and Sliders are in the same genus, Pseudemys. The species and subspecies in both genera are very similar. The one called the Mobile Cooter is found right there where that one was found. I am going by range maps from Roger Conant's 1958 Field Guide. Its Latin name would be Pseudemys concinna mobilensis. Maybe you can look up more photos to narrow it down further, but I'd be happy thinking it was a Mobile Cooter.

Thanks! I was guessing it was a male, too.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
From what I see I would say it is a male Red Eared Slider that is fairly melanistic. I wish the carapace shot was a good as the plastron shots. The plastron is not right for a River cooter, not a "normal" red-ear, but melanistic red ears get plastrons that look just like that.

90% sure male melanistic red-ear,

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

Sliders are now in their own genus - Trachemys. The cooters are Pseudemys. The "mobile cooter" is no longer recognized as a seperate subspecies, but is now consindered as part of the river cooters - Pseudenys concinna concinna

The overall shape is not quite right for a cooter either, Cooters tend to have a more oval shape and even slight point to the rear of the shell, while red ears are more rounded overall.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
From what I see I would say it is a male Red Eared Slider that is fairly melanistic. I wish the carapace shot was a good as the plastron shots. The plastron is not right for a River cooter, not a "normal" red-ear, but melanistic red ears get plastrons that look just like that.

90% sure male melanistic red-ear,
Thanks, Mark! ??❤️

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
If this turtles is melanistic (“dark”?) does that suggest he’s older?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If this turtles is melanistic (“dark”?) does that suggest he’s older?
Yes. It does take age for a male to become melanistic. If we could see the head, I'd bet he's pretty black skinned now. The shell is not as dark as they can get, but this is one of the melanistic looks. The plastron looks well progressed with the melanistic traits. That would take time to develop to that point. I'd guess at least 20 yrs old+

zovick

10 Year Member!
Sliders are now in their own genus - Trachemys. The cooters are Pseudemys. The "mobile cooter" is no longer recognized as a seperate subspecies, but is now consindered as part of the river cooters - Pseudenys concinna concinna

The overall shape is not quite right for a cooter either, Cooters tend to have a more oval shape and even slight point to the rear of the shell, while red ears are more rounded overall.
See what happens when you use a 60 year old reference book? (LOL)

I kind of knew in the back of my mind that the two genera had been separated, but didn't feel like looking it up. Also figured an exact ID wasn't really possible from the photos, nor all that imperative since the turtle was already released.