Species help?

batonga

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hi everyone,

I hope I am putting this in the right place.

A tortoise popped up for adoption at the local shelter and they have virtually no information on it. I've contacted them to try and get some, but due to COVID-19 they only answer the phone and emails Mondays through Thursdays and you can't just pop in (have to go by appointment). My family used to have a "wild tortoise" that would chill on our property and we loved seeing them from time to time when he felt like gracing us with his presence. We're open to giving this guy a wonderful home here with lots of space to move around in case he got big (and my dad wants to build him a nice large enclosure if we do decide to get him). And I know most people on here recommend getting a tortoise from a reputable breeder, but I love giving animals a good home and would always adopt if given the option.

The only information they have is that he is male and this is the only picture. Any theories would be helpful! He looks pretty small still from the photograph. Thanks so much.

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 8.16.37 PM.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a Russian. If you get it, it needs a big yard to wander in. He's over weight from being kept in a small enclosure with no exercise.

They are great escape artists and are able to scale fences, so you need a horizontal board\cap at the top of the fence.

batonga

Los Angeles
It's a Russian. If you get it, it needs a big yard to wander in. He's over weight from being kept in a small enclosure with no exercise.

They are great escape artists and are able to scale fences, so you need a horizontal board\cap at the top of the fence.

Thank you so much for the info about him being overweight. I have about an acre of land and he would be outdoors. If I am lucky enough to get him, he would have a smaller temporary enclosure at first, but my dad wants to build him a large safe place to live. I will make sure that I tell my dad he can scale fences and needs the horizontal board cap at the top!

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee
@batonga

Russian owner here. They are a great starter tortoise. They are much easier in my opinion to house as I can have indoor and outdoor enclosures.
Take a read to some of the posts on the TFO so you can get an idea of care needed and whether or not it sounds like something that is going to work for you and your household.

WELCOME TO TFO!
-Meg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone,

A tortoise popped up for adoption at the local shelter and they have virtually no information on it. I've contacted them to try and get some, but due to COVID-19 they only answer the phone and emails Mondays through Thursdays and you can't just pop in (have to go by appointment). My family used to have a "wild tortoise" that would chill on our property and we loved seeing them from time to time when he felt like gracing us with his presence. We're open to giving this guy a wonderful home here with lots of space to move around in case he got big (and my dad wants to build him a nice large enclosure if we do decide to get him). And I know most people on here recommend getting a tortoise from a reputable breeder, but I love giving animals a good home and would always adopt if given the option.

The only information they have is that he is male and this is the only picture. Any theories would be helpful! He looks pretty small still from the photograph. Thanks so much.

View attachment 303490
If they don't know what species it is, which is obvious, how do they know its a male?

Good luck. I hope you get it.

batonga

Los Angeles
If they don't know what species it is, which is obvious, how do they know its a male?

Good luck. I hope you get it.

Lol! No idea, they just put down "tortoise" and "male" ... If I end up getting them I will clearly check to see if the male part is true. I don't think my local shelter gets many tortoises through its doors, so I'm glad they at least got the tortoise part right...

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Lol! No idea, they just put down "tortoise" and "male" ... If I end up getting them I will clearly check to see if the male part is true. I don't think my local shelter gets many tortoises through its doors, so I'm glad they at least got the tortoise part right...

They're probably not taking care of the tortoise correctly. I suggest printing an extra care sheet out for them in order to one, show initiative, and two, prepare them so that they'll have an inkling of an idea as on how to take care of the next one they get down the road. There's already a bunch of good linked ones in the thread. Give a them a few different copies and see if that gives you any brownie points towards the adoption process.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada

Yep. A fat Russian.
is it difficult to get tortoise to lose weight healthy?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi everyone,

View attachment 303490

Yyyyyaaaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!!
Go get him!!!!!
I am so happy to hear you might rescue him!!!!!!
He looks like a Russian to me?
He looks like a little monkey punk head.
Go get him!!!!!
And please give him another chance.....
and THIS TIME .... a REALLY GOOD HOME. Tortoises deserve that much...
no one ever wants them when they get big.
☹️
sooooo happy for him!!!! ?

batonga

Los Angeles
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all the info, even though I emailed the morning he became available, he actually ended up getting adopted by someone else before me! What a popular guy. Hoping he has a really great home with them, and hoping another tortoise needing a home crosses my path in the future!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all the info, even though I emailed the morning he became available, he actually ended up getting adopted by someone else before me! What a popular guy. Hoping he has a really great home with them, and hoping another tortoise needing a home crosses my path in the future!

I am so sorry to hear this! ☹️
and I pray he went to a good home..
But best wishes to you on looking for another one. There are some people on here that might be selling torts. And you would get a really good one too!! I am not sure of who is selling but look up one of the threads i am sure you’ll find one. Or even a little baby one you could raise!!?
all the best.
And stay in the forum till you get one.
There is really GREAT advice for newbies.
I wish I had them when I became a tort parent...

GOOD LUCK!!??