Spay/neutered tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Does anyone have an altered tortoise? I fully understand the challenges this procedure creates and I also understand the inherent risks of any optional surgery, especially one in which a it is necessary to cut the shell. Regardless of whether it was for health reasons or not (I know some females with follicle problems may be good candidates for surgery) I am simply curious if any forum members currently have a sterilized tortoise. Thanks!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
No. But the way things are going, Joe will be having a hormone implant to reduce his testosterone levels. He's making himself sick.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've had appx. 8 male sulcatas come through here with prolapses so bad they had to have their penis amputated. But they've all been adopted out. Does that count?

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I don't think I've heard of any kind of reptile getting spayed/neutered.....

emysemys said:
I've had appx. 8 male sulcatas come through here with prolapses so bad they had to have their penis amputated. But they've all been adopted out. Does that count?
Until now............ I think that might count...

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I have not put any of my animals through this, but would only be willing to do so if there is an imminent medical imperative.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
For all the men out here, please don't discuss amputating penises, we thank you.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
emysemys said:

We have had two large male sulcatas with similar issues resulting with the same outcome as emysemys.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Yikez... how what happened? Could you pm me a how/why it could have happened and ways to prevent?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
dmmj said:
For all the men out here, please don't discuss amputating penises, we thank you.

Chop it off... lop it off... WAAAYYYY OFF! (Imagining cheerleaders as I chant this in my head)

Status
Not open for further replies.