Southern hospitality & prickly pear cactus

Knap_123

Riding down the road today I see some cacti by the road. So I stop and ask for a piece. The fellow tells me to take it all. Or stop and get it anytime I want. So I grab a few pieces.IMAG1510.jpg IMAG1511.jpg

Knap_123

Then I remember another fellow on the way back. So I stop by his place. He tells me to take all I want anytime I want also. Also has aloes, and banana trees. IMAG1514.jpg IMAG1516.jpg IMAG1519.jpg IMAG1518.jpg IMAG1520.jpg so how do I dry it out? Or can I vacuum Seal pads after dethorning ?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
That's awesome!! Get some of that fruit too..Stick a few pads in the ground, and you will start growing it soon enough.

Knap_123

I put some in planters. But I'm worried of having a large patch of cacti growing. I don't want nobody getting into it accidentally. Of course I could plant it under my daughters windows!! :D

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I put some in planters. But I'm worried of having a large patch of cacti growing. I don't want nobody getting into it accidentally. Of course I could plant it under my daughters windows!! :D
My torts like the new pads so right after they get about the size of my hand I cut them off and feed those. That really controls them, it doesn't grow like wild fire.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jack pot. Too funny, under your daughters window. You just might want to do that though LOL.
I had frozen some in vacuum sealed bags, works pretty good. You can also cut them in smaller pieces and dry them in a very low oven for a long time. If you can get as many as you want, you might look into a food dehydrator. I would start growing your own. Like already mentioned, cut and feed the new pads.