southern california and outdoor enclosures

deee-deee

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hey all
Happy friday!!!

I tried searching the forum and can't find anything definitive, so to any socal folk.. i'd love you forever for some guidance :p

This is my first winter with my RT. I"m in los angeles and I keep my guy outdoor during the day and indoor at night.. as the weather cools down i've noticed him burrowing outside a lot more and earlier in the day and then basking for way longer when he comes in at night (he doesn't hibernate over winter)
Will he be fine outdoors over the next few months? Do I need a heat source for his outdoor enclosure over the winter? I have heat in his indoor enclosure so he gets it everyday 7:30-8:30am and from 5:30ish - 730pm. Indoor hot zone around 90-95
Also what about when it rains? Do you bring them in?

George thanks you :tort:
...and sorry if already asked somewhere else

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is specifically mentioned in here. Pics and everything.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Your tortoise knows winter is coming and is likely going to dig down and brumate at some point. You can choose to keep him up inside with the right lighting and heat or you can brumate him. I’m in Southern California near the beach and we fridge brumate. While our Russian successfully brumated in our yard the first winter we had her (she was an escapee and we were trying to find the owner) we don’t let her do that anymore. It’s too damp here to keep a Russian safe; they are from a very dry climate and aren’t built for the damp.

My vet raised Russians in Anaheim for many years and feels Russians can be safe over the winter if they have heat source. Basically they slow down in a heated box and pop up now and again on sunny days. He’s a very experienced reptile vet and I trust him but my Russian isn’t interested in his opinion, :) She decides to brumate and thus we bought a small fridge for that purpose.

Reactions: Tom