South Wales, Uk new mum to Raffaele (?Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortoise?)

Lou-Lou

Location (City and/or State)
Wales, UK
Hi all My name is Lou and im in Wales, Uk. I am the a proud mum Russian Tortoise is called Raffe "A.K.A Raffaele (?Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortoise?)

Attachments

• 20210730_144746.jpg
    20210730_144746.jpg
    897.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210730_144845.jpg
    20210730_144845.jpg
    790.9 KB · Views: 17

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi all My name is Lou and im in Wales, Uk. I am the a proud mum Russian Tortoise is called Raffe "A.K.A Raffaele (?Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortoise?)
Welcome to the forum, Lou and Raffe!

If you haven’t stumbled across it yet, here’s a link to an excellent care sheet that will help with raising cute little Raffe. ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Lou,
I'm also in Wales.
The caresheet is full of up to date information so read that and ask as many questions as you like.

You'll also find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk very useful in finding nutritious tort safe foods.

Pet shops are renowned for selling unsuitable and unsafe equipment for torts because they are only interested in profit and know very little about tort care, so if you want to check if the lamps, substrate, water dishes etc, you have are safe then post some pics and you'll get good advice to help you keep Raphael happy and healthy.

Just a few pointers to consider - the fake grass you have in the viv isn't recommended because it could be nibbled, plus it will soak up urine so it will smell and harbour bacteria. Russians like deep, moist (not wet) substrate to dig in to. Also do you have a thermometer to measure temps at tort level? The temp strip is too high for that and I don't know how accurate they are. There are some good digital thermometers/hygrometers you could use to measure temps and humidity, and a digital temp gun is great for spot checking the temps around the enclosure.

Last edited:

Lou-Lou

Wales, UK
Hi Lou,
I'm also in Wales.
The caresheet is full of up to date information so read that and ask as many questions as you like.

You'll also find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk very useful in finding nutritious tort safe foods.

Pet shops are renowned for selling unsuitable and unsafe equipment for torts because they are only interested in profit and know very little about tort care, so if you want to check if the lamps, substrate, water dishes etc, you have are safe then post some pics and you'll get good advice to help you keep Raphael happy and healthy.

Just a few pointers to consider - the fake grass you have in the viv isn't recommended because it could be nibbled, plus it will soak up urine so it will smell and harbour bacteria. Russians like deep, moist (not wet) substrate to dig in to. Also do you have a thermometer to measure temps at tort level? The temp strip is too high for that and I don't know how accurate they are. There are some good digital thermometers/hygrometers you could use to measure temps and humidity, and a digital temp gun is great for spot checking the temps around the enclosure.
Hi lyn. Thanks for your message I'll definitely get rid of the grass, your right in the bad advice from pet shop as they sold me loads on the set up and I've almost had to replace everything through researching my self. Raffe sure can let me know if he likes or dislikes something ? As for the temperature strip that was on the tank when I bought it, i have digital thermostat thermometer x 2, one at basking area and one other end. And a timer on the uvb strip light. I'll add picture now, please let me know if this is ok. Thanks Lyn

Attachments

• 16277522915734234698496309436582.jpg
    16277522915734234698496309436582.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 16277523809299120109000080727678.jpg
    16277523809299120109000080727678.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 5

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi and welcome. Feel free to ask questions if you get stuck. Enjoy Raffe.