South-east Asian (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Malay, Indo, etc) Diet

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
I'm in Indo, and a staple for us is talas (Colocasia esculenta). It grows beside every paddy field (check for herbicide/pesticide use first) and the torts go nuts for it.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
hello there I lived in Indonesia, I had tried mustard green, Katuk, and bok choy. my baby sulcata didn't want to eat. I don't know why my tortoise loves eating kangkong so much. I made a trick when feeding by hand, making kangkong(ipomoea reptans) sandwich with katuk or grass/weeds
My Russian loves kangkong as well but she’s not a grass eater so I don’t have to worry about it much. :)

Mixing the other foods in is the smart way to go. Once he gets used to the taste of the new things you can increase the amount and slowly cut down on the kangkong.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
What kind of tortoises do you have?
Manouria Emys Emys :)

I have tried kangkung repeatedly to no avail. I'm going off it myself as it's all stalk once cooked, maybe theyre jumping on the bandwagon.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Manouria Emys Emys :)

I have tried kangkung repeatedly to no avail. I'm going off it myself as it's all stalk once cooked, maybe theyre jumping on the bandwagon.
I see. From my limited understanding taro is a staple for for manouria so I suppose it’s not the worst thing if they don’t like the kangkung. It’s pretty good stir fried in my opinion but I’m sure not everyone feels the same. :)

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
I see. From my limited understanding taro is a staple for for manouria so I suppose it’s not the worst thing if they don’t like the kangkung. It’s pretty good stir fried in my opinion but I’m sure not everyone feels the same. :)
Here it's available everywhere and I was a big fan. Then I reacted positively to genjer and my partner has been cooking that for me all the time, with kangkung falling to the wayside. It is all leaf and no stalk, so kangkung feels like a lot of work by comparison.

Incidentally Genjer (Limnocharis flava) and the similar Common water hyacinth (Eceng gondok) are both safe to feed and grow rampantly in SEA, so should perhaps be on this list. They are non native and highly invasive though, so should only be taken from clean, responsible sources.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Incidentally Genjer (Limnocharis flava) and the similar Common water hyacinth (Eceng gondok) are both safe to feed and grow rampantly in SEA, so should perhaps be on this list. They are non native and highly invasive though, so should only be taken from clean, responsible sources.
That’s great, thank you.

I don’t have access to edit this post to make an all inclusive list at the top so now that you have provided these two here they are as “official” as they can be. :)

They will end up as searchable terms so people should be able to find them even if they don’t know about this specific post. We have other posts about water hyacinth but yours is the first on genger!

Totole

Jakarta
Sorry for replying old thread, my Sulcata lives in my garden with tons of axonopus c grass and he seems to be eating it non stop, is it safe or what should I do about it?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Sorry for replying old thread, my Sulcata lives in my garden with tons of axonopus c grass and he seems to be eating it non stop, is it safe or what should I do about it?
I'm afraid I don't have familiarity with grasses, as I don't feed a grass eater. If you don't get an answer here you might try posting it in the Sulcata specific forum.