South African leopard tortoise

Ggk

Location (City and/or State)
China
Hoping @Tom will come in,but I’d love to hear from anyone who knows the answers.

My question:
I am planing to purchase a giant South African leopard tortoise from my friend,which is about 52 centimeters,it just looks pretty to me,but I have never raise the South African leopard tortoise before,so I want to know if there’s something I need to be careful with this species?? It’s difficult to raise?IMG_2021.jpgIMG_2022.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, doesn't really look SA to me either. But it's a real beauty. I'd worry because they've been keeping the tortoise with a species from a different county (mixing species).

The SA leopard tortoises are cared for very similar to the Sulcata tortoises.

Ggk

China
Yeah, doesn't really look SA to me either. But it's a real beauty. I'd worry because they've been keeping the tortoise with a species from a different county (mixing species).

The SA leopard tortoises are cared for very similar to the Sulcata tortoises.

Thank you for the kindly reminding,I would separate them as soon as I get this.May I know how to identify if this is a SA leopard tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At that age you would have to go by size and skin color I think. The SAs have quite a bit of freckles all over their skin.

SA leopard female 12-08-14 b.jpg

I don't have a good picture showing the skin, but here's a babcock on the left and a SA on the right.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Where are you from? South African leopards are generally much much darker in coloration. I suspect it’s babcocki or a mix at best.

But as the others stated, it’s one of the most beautiful leopards I’ve ever seen. You’ll be making many of us quite jealous

Ggk

China
Where are you from? South African leopards are generally much much darker in coloration. I suspect it’s babcocki or a mix at best.

But as the others stated, it’s one of the most beautiful leopards I’ve ever seen. You’ll be making many of us quite jealous

I am from China,just want to know if the babcocki can be this size ?

Ggk

China
At that age you would have to go by size and skin color I think. The SAs have quite a bit of freckles all over their skin.

View attachment 267130

I don't have a good picture showing the skin, but here's a babcock on the left and a SA on the right.

It’s the Babcock can reach this size ?? This leopard tortoise is about 52 cm (count by the bottom)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes they can. The female I posted a picture above is 28lbs. I think she's about 18" front to back.

Ggk

China
Yes they can. The female I posted a picture above is 28lbs. I think she's about 18" front to back.

I had traced back to the certificate of origin and I found out this is call Ethopian leopard tortoise,Which the size is much bigger than SOUTH AFRICAN LEOPARD TORTOISE.

Ggk

China
I am from China,just want to know if the babcocki can be this size ?

I had traced back to the certificate of origin and I found out this is call Ethopian leopard tortoise,Which the size is much bigger than SOUTH AFRICAN LEOPARD TORTOISE.

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
What is the size and weight? It's seems doubtful that it is an Ethiopian leopard. They are extremely rare. They can grow to sulcata like size and to my knowledge no one here in the US owns one.