South African Leopard and hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yashil Ghazi

5 Year Member
Only a pleasure everyone
Im glad i could be helpful in some way.

I will make arrangments to go to a closeby game park. I hear that they have a large number of tortoises. When I go, I will be sure to take some photos and post them on TF to show what their landscape is like and what they look like.

May God bless all reptiles.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
That would be awesome Yashil! I look forward to it

mikeh

5 Year Member
Can't wait to see those Yashill!

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: South African Leopard and hibernation

Yashil Ghazi said:
I will make arrangments to go to a close by game park. I hear that they have a large number of tortoises. When I go, I will be sure to take some photos and post them on TF to show what their landscape is like and what they look like

I'd be very interested in using some of your information. Looking forward to seeing/ reading about what you find!

Sent from my TFOapp

Yashil Ghazi

5 Year Member
Ive spoken to one of my friends from school today.he says his mum and dad will be able to take us along to the KZN iTaala game reserve. They apparently also have an area with a large collection of torts that they have found in the reserve.( just incase we dont see some in the reserve ) aswell as a large population of wild ones in the reserve.

IL be going in two weeks (im in the middle of my trials exam ) but I will be sure to report back to TFO.

I must say that I am not an expert on leopard torts , as I am simply a rookie owner who is looking to learn more about my beautiful pet .

Ive added some pics of the lions that they have in this park (taken by my friend just recently ) just to give you an idea of the type of landscape that we are talking about.

Attachments

• 1378061015247.jpg
    1378061015247.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 1378061123501.jpg
    1378061123501.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 1378061140155.jpg
    1378061140155.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 1378061159115.jpg
    1378061159115.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 94

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

Yashil Ghazi said:
I must say that I am not an expert on leopard torts ,

Dude, that's ok. You have something amazing to offer us..you live on location :D

Sent from my TFOapp

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know about you, but I'M really looking forward to your trip!!!

Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
The lions are majestic. Just a gentle reminder Yashil. Personal space. Give those lions personal space. I have seen pictures on the web of lion cubs playing football with a tucked in leopard tortoise. (The photographer had a note that all was well with the tortoise after the game he was forced in to). : )

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

Yashil Ghazi said:
Ive spoken to one of my friends from school today.he says his mum and dad will be able to take us along to the KZN iTaala game reserve. They apparently also have an area with a large collection of torts that they have found in the reserve.( just incase we dont see some in the reserve ) aswell as a large population of wild ones in the reserve.

IL be going in two weeks (im in the middle of my trials exam ) but I will be sure to report back to TFO.

I must say that I am not an expert on leopard torts , as I am simply a rookie owner who is looking to learn more about my beautiful pet .

Ive added some pics of the lions that they have in this park (taken by my friend just recently ) just to give you an idea of the type of landscape that we are talking about.

If you see hatchlings please post pictures of there habitat . So we can prove they live humid . And not dry and sandy. Good luck hope you get to see tortoise in the wild . I'm so jealous.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

mikeh

5 Year Member
Yashill,
If you could bring with you humidistat and thermostat and take some actual readings at their sites

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Yashil Ghazi

5 Year Member
I will be sure to do that. I think that my school's geography department will have one of each.

I will put whatever I find in a new thread ( sorry to completely change the subject of your thread )

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yashil Ghazi said:
( sorry to completely change the subject of your thread )

Are you kidding? All of this totally relates to the original topic, AND everyone here wants to learn from every detail of the info you can give us.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Tom said:
Yashil Ghazi said:
( sorry to completely change the subject of your thread )

Are you kidding? All of this totally relates to the original topic, AND everyone here wants to learn from every detail of the info you can give us.

Can I second this?! :D

If you do create a new thread, please link to it in this thread so I don't miss it... ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
HerbsMommy said:
Leopards don't hibernate

I have had several babcocki for many years. When I first got into the species, I noticed that one of them sat in a cooler corner of the warm house (during the winter months) and didn't move. Thereafter, each winter, I would package that babcock up in shredded newspaper and put her in the hibernatorium. She's been doing this now for about 10 years with me. When I first joined this forum I used to say that some of the babcocks hibernate, and some don't. I really got shot down, even though I was speaking from experience. So I've just kept quiet about it.

I now have two pardalis pardalis with a hatchling on the way, and if they act like they want to hibernate, I will make arrangements for them to do so.

Just look at that land in the lion pictures. You can't even see dirt. This only goes to prove that the ground is probably pretty moist with all that cover over it. And the baby tortoises would be way down under all that dead grass, where it is moist and humid. And so much food for them to eat!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yvonne G said:
HerbsMommy said:
Leopards don't hibernate

I have had several babcocki for many years. When I first got into the species, I noticed that one of them sat in a cooler corner of the warm house (during the winter months) and didn't move. Thereafter, each winter, I would package that babcock up in shredded newspaper and put her in the hibernatorium. She's been doing this now for about 10 years with me. When I first joined this forum I used to say that some of the babcocks hibernate, and some don't. I really got shot down, even though I was speaking from experience. So I've just kept quiet about it.

I had a small male babcoci that behaved the same way as yours Yvonne. Every winter he would almost completely shut down for a couple of months. He would eat here and there and never had a runny nose or sign of illness so it didn't concern me too much. But comparing to how he behaves in warmer weather, it was a very noticeable change.

Status
Not open for further replies.