South African crocodiles toying with a Leopard Tortoise

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Woah! :eek: So the croc ended up taking the tortoise away with it? Did he actually eat it whole? I didn't think the poor tort would fit in his mouth! XD

Nice photos though! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The title says the croc swallowed it whole, but the article says the tortoise got away after about a half hour.

Which is it?

surfergirl

I do not remember crocs vents being big enough to pass that size of Leo's shells? wonder how that works out for the croc if indeed it was swallowed?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It reads after a while one croc swallowed it whole. If it did indeed swallow it, is the crocs acids capable of dissolving the carapace:eek:.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
The title says the croc swallowed it whole, but the article says the tortoise got away after about a half hour.

Which is it?
I agree!
It reads after a while one croc swallowed it whole. If it did indeed swallow it, is the crocs acids capable of dissolving the carapace:eek:.
Maybe the press added the "swallowing it whole" part for sensationalism. I'm guessing the croc got bored with the tort after a while, in much the same way a raccoon gets bored by closed-up box turtle, and left.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I agree!

Maybe the press added the "swallowing it whole" part for sensationalism. I'm guessing the croc got bored with the tort after a while, in much the same way a raccoon gets bored by closed-up box turtle, and left.
Hope so