Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
How many men?

Last summer, when SO weighed 180lbs, Will and I were able to lift him onto an inverted 5 gallon bucket on a scale, but that is no longer possible. I think maybe another muscly man might be able to help with it, but he's beyond me ever doing it again.

Twiggz

5 Year Member
N. Ca
Wow! I'm in the cleaning/planning stages of getting my yard Aldabra friendly. Those pics have me rethinking some of it. SO doesn't even look like he's trying to knock the fence down... its just in his way haha.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I should have started a new thread and titled it SO's incredible adventure part 2. Here he is again, getting into more trouble. This time he's climbing the little retaining fence that was put into place to keep him away from the little mulberry trees while they grew. I had some guests who were bringing me a young, found sulcata and we discovered SO, the mountain climber. This tortoise is going to be hell on my second-hand lumber fences. I can see he's going to require much stronger fencing when I have to move him to his new pasture.

Aldabran troublemaker - SO 10-11-14 a.jpg Aldabran troublemaker - SO 10-11-14 b.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I should have started a new thread and titled it SO's incredible adventure part 2. Here he is again, getting into more trouble. This time he's climbing the little retaining fence that was put into place to keep him away from the little mulberry trees while they grew. I had some guests who were bringing me a young, found sulcata and we discovered SO, the mountain climber. This tortoise is going to be hell on my second-hand lumber fences. I can see he's going to require much stronger fencing when I have to move him to his new pasture.

View attachment 99709 View attachment 99710

Yvonne, I believe he want his pic taken by the person he is looking at through the fence....lol...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It seems like he gets in these little adventures whenever somebody drops the tortoise off to you. Maybe they need to stop dropping off tortoises :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah...I'm pretty embarrassed by how bumpy they are, but I really can claim ignorance. I didn't learn how important humidity is to their growth until they were already on the bumpy road.

SO was trying to get to the little mulberry tree on the other side of the fence. The gal went over to get a close-up look at him after he was already up there. She was worried he would be stuck, but he got down by himself ok after he ate the tree. The other lady in the back ground was taking a picture of Dudley. Dudley was about three times as big as the sulcata they were dropping off. They were much impressed.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Does BO ever go adventures too? Or is he just the ones that talks SO into being mischievous? Ha

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually BO is pretty infirm. It's taking me a very long time to get him strong again after learning he was calcium deficient. For about 4 years now he has dragged himself around the yard. It has only been this past summer that he is finally starting to be able to actually lift up his body and walk on his feet/legs instead of sliding along on his plastron. So, because it's so hard for him to move around, he doesn't get into mischief.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Actually BO is pretty infirm. It's taking me a very long time to get him strong again after learning he was calcium deficient. For about 4 years now he has dragged himself around the yard. It has only been this past summer that he is finally starting to be able to actually lift up his body and walk on his feet/legs instead of sliding along on his plastron. So, because it's so hard for him to move around, he doesn't get into mischief.
Ah. Well the good thing is, he seems to be showing signs of a positive progress. When he does start to get into mischief that will be an aggregating but good day. :) tankers. They crack me up when they get into mischief.