SO's Incredible Adventure

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Big tortoises CAN back up, but they don't usually. They just bulldoze their way through or over something that is in their way.

So I was saying good-bye to a young couple who had just come over to drop off a pair of 3-toe box turtles and we were at the fence to the Aldabran pen. I was showing them BO, who was right in front of us, but I said I guess SO is in the shed. But the guy says, no there's another one over there at the stump. I had to run into the house to get my camera. This is too good to miss. He's got the 4x4 dislodged from its mooring and the 2x4 has pulled away. The pickets at the 4x4 are no longer attached. I had to grab his carapace behind his head and manhandle him back away from the stump. Once he was down, it was business as usual and he went on his merry way looking for food.

Thank goodness this happened when I was home and able to fix the fence. There's no way I would be able to get that giant into my P/U truck if he had made it down to the street.

Aldabran 9-1-14 a.jpg Aldabran 9-1-14.jpg

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Had no idea you had Aldabras, Yvonne. Rescues??

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. Both of them discovered their "stuff" a couple of summers ago. They played a bit with it on and off for several weeks, now they just leave it alone. Thank goodness they aren't over-sexed like the little Russians are.

I got BO and SO when they were just a couple months old in 2000. They are now 14 years old. They've lived in that yard their whole lives, so they are completely happy to be in there and really don't know there's a world outside their fence. They came from a pet store in NY. They are both male and I don't think they are related. Last summer my partner, Will, had tried to broker a male for female type trade or breeding loan with Bob Thomas, but we could never get together with him on it.